Having serious problems with smokey hollow 4 in 1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

myvanhascandy

Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
I've put stove cord around the seams of the charcoal and firebox. I cant for the life of me get the temperature of the charcoal box to go above 200 unless i put the charcoal directly in that box. I am in some serious need of help with this grill. I have half a mind to toss it since my 50$ masterforge has worked better than this 400$ monstrosity. Does anyone have any experience with this c.o.s

Addendum* i read the temperature from the dome and not the grates and no matter what i do the dome wont rise above 150 right now but the grates say 180+ with my thermometer. I didnt boil test the dome thermometers. Does anyone have experience with this grill? Specifically thr dome thermometers to see if the temp isnt right.

Last edited:
I used 1 1/2 chimneys of brick charcoal and i made sure to elevate it so it is closer to the firebox vent. I have yet to find an adequate c.o.s vent setting. The only way this has been able to smoke is with indirect charcoal in the charcoal portion of the grill. I must be doing something wrong. Im not a novice with make cheap smokers work with mods and welder blankets. But the fact that i cant get the pffset temp past 200 is ridiculous.

i wish I could tell you what would make it work for you. remember top vent wide open......If it is not making heat....bottome vent wide open....Have you checked your temp gauge? a lot of them don't work worth Sth. Did you have the chimney going good when you put it in?

1# of charcoal will put out about 9000 btu

the more detail you can give us. the better we can help.

Happy smoken.

David

Any chance you have the smoke hollow CGS1800 I had a problem my first time could only get to 225 when I added charcoal it would last for 20 minutes

Problem has been fixed. I actually haven't done a thing to it. I run all my dampers closed because there are leaks. But it runs between around 230 steadly

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky