Have Butt Will Travel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

markeli

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 5, 2006
Magna, UT
I have to smoke a boston butt (7 1/2 lb) for dinner tomorrow at 3:00 pm. and the location of dinner is 3 1/2 hours away from my smoker which is not very portable.

Wish me luck on the timing.

Mark

If you have a small cooler fill with boiling water and allow to heat it up, lid closed. Empty and place butt wrapped in HD foil in, should stay plenty hot for 3 1/2 hours without any problem.
I would take the butt any higher than 185 to 190 internal cause the butt will continue to tenderize in the dry cooler.
Jim

Thank you for the reply. I tried the preheated cooler a couple of weeks ago and it worked very well. It is a neat little trick. now if I can just get it done in time.

Mark

Mark if you're providing the meat for dinner, remember this-They can't eat 'til you and Judy get there!! :P

Thanks Earl Judy is in california with her sister so I thought I would go down to beaver and see my brother, he found out that I am smokin meat and said I need to come down and visit but don't forget the pork. The butt should come out of the smoker in about 2 hrs unless it gets stuck again (temp wise)
it should be a good trip.

well I am a little ahead of schedule I just loaded the pork in the cooler. I will get there a little early and stick the pork in the oven to keep warm. I will let ya all know how it went when I get back in town.

Mark

Just got back. That cooler trick worked better this time than last time. Pork went in to the preheated cooler at 185* three hours later the temp was 158* I didn't have to put it in the oven everyone started to eat it when I got there. we then ate the side dishes when they were ready worked out good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky