Hatch Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fltsfshr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 8, 2015
Colorado style pork Hatch chili. Done in cast iron kettle in the kamado. Good stuff. Put a little sour cream on top. Lots of versions of this out there just like any chili.
Hatch chili with pork Colorado style.jpg

Being true to Texas roots where chili is concerned, I don't know that I could call this chili. I will however say that is looks REALLY good. No doubt I'd love it...and since you made it, you can call it whatever the heck you want :emoji_wink: If you have something written down that you could easily copy and paste, I'd love to see the recipe. If not I could probably conjure something up. Thanks for sharing. I love the concept.

Robert

Reactions: cutplug
Grew up in Colorado and now my folks are buried in Santa Fe.
I learned to make Green Chile from my Dad.
He started out with a couple of pig ears simmering for a few hours to get the collagen
for the thickener. Than add the roasted and peeled/seeded green chiles,green peppers like jalapeno and serrano. tomatillos, onions and cilantro. Not sure if my Dad used tomatoes. Also just cubed up fresh pork and browned it than added in with juice and all.
We just called it green chili and maybe down in Texas they don't call it chili but they sure do in Co and NM!
Looks great!

Thinking.....Smoke CSR's til about 165 degrees IT then into the liquid part of the chili til they are ready to shred. Any thoughts on this? Am I totally off base on this line of thought?
Jim

That recipe is pretty legit. My NM family does not use tomatoes as a general rule, but when I make it my wife insists that I add to tomato so I do and have adjusted to it, but if she isn’t eating it I leave them out and prefer it that way.

Nice work and I know it’s delicious.

Sounds good! Give it go cuz it sure won't be bad. A bit of smoke could be killer!
We are doing the non-traditional Thanksgiving this year as the kids are doing big meals with in-laws. Thinking this is gonna be on our menu.
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky