Has anyone tried Stundenglass for smoking foods / cocktails??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smurfsky

Original poster
Mar 20, 2023
Hey guys, I came across this brand on Instagram the other day, and I'm wondering if anyone has tried anything like this. Here's a link: https://stundenglass.com/collections/beverage-infusion

It's called "Stundenglass" and it originally was designed as a bong for smoking weed. But, they've seem to have pivoted and focused on using this for smoking cocktails, foods, and other things with tiny little wood chips. Super expensive, but seems like a unique thing for infusing smoke into foods once they're already done being made, and cocktails. They sell these beverage "cloches" to cover foods and attach to the infuser (bong), and a bunch of tiny jars of mini wood chips designed to fit the burner.

Question is - has anyone tried this? Would you try it? What would you use instead?

My BIL has something similar for making smoked Old Fashioneds. Kind of gimmicky, but can be fun on occasion.

Personally, I prefer the originally intended implementation. 🙂

Reactions: 6GRILLZNTN
My BIL has something similar for making smoked Old Fashioneds. Kind of gimmicky, but can be fun on occasion.

Personally, I prefer the originally intended implementation. 🙂
Lol that's how I prefer it too. I just wonder how well it works with cocktails and things like that. I always understood that smoke clings to fats, so with things like cocktails I don't know how well it'd infuse.

I have one it was given to me so no investment. As far as infusing smoke to drinks I'm not sure. It does leave a very smoky odor in the glass so I think your nose is telling your brain to taste smoke in the booze. It works.
I use it for smoking salts and herbs works quite well for that.

IMG-1297-1.jpg

Reactions: TNJAKE
I have one it was given to me so no investment. As far as infusing smoke to drinks I'm not sure. It does leave a very smoky odor in the glass so I think your nose is telling your brain to taste smoke in the booze. It works.
I use it for smoking salts and herbs works quite well for that.

View attachment 660927
That’s pretty cool actually. That looks like a lot cheaper way to do it than with the Stundenglass version.

Steven Raichlen has used this portable smoker to infuse cocktails on his PBS series . Its made by Breville

The Smoking Gun Portable Food Smoker
I got the original version of The Smoking Gun about made by PolyScience 10 years, and it works great for special applications. Used on a pitcher of Bloody Marys, and you've got an exponentially improved drink. The last time I used was a couple weeks ag when I was preparing some Chilean sea bass filets. I wanted to put a little smoke on them, and I wasn't going to fire up the smoker to do that. Just 5 minutes with the gun, and I was done.

I broke the original unit a couple years ago, and replaced it with newer version. It's still made by PolyScience, but it's now marketed by Breville

Reactions: Smokin Okie
Steven Raichlen has used this portable smoker to infuse cocktails on his PBS series . Its made by Breville

The Smoking Gun Portable Food Smoker
I got the original version of The Smoking Gun about made by PolyScience 10 years, and it works great for special applications. Used on a pitcher of Bloody Marys, and you've got an exponentially improved drink. The last time I used was a couple weeks ag when I was preparing some Chilean sea bass filets. I wanted to put a little smoke on them, and I wasn't going to fire up the smoker to do that. Just 5 minutes with the gun, and I was done.

I broke the original unit a couple years ago, and replaced it with newer version. It's still made by PolyScience, but it's now marketed by Breville
Huh, that's pretty cool. Way cheaper than the Stundenglass, too.

I’ve seen cocktails smoked on the spot from a simple wood cap on a glass hit with a torch. Way way cheaper than that thing you posted.

Reactions: Smurfsky
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky