Has Anyone Tried Using Hard Wood Pellets Instead of Wood Chips or Chunks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

james1970

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 11, 2014
Northern California.
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if anyone has tried hardwood pellets in their smoker/ bbq instead of using would chips or chunks? I was on aanothe bbq sight that was alking about this and now I would like to know if it is even worth while to try it.

Pellets would burn to fast. The only way you could do it properly,that I can think of,would turn it into a pellet smoker totally chunks are great as they give a longer steady burn.

James I seen a post someone did lay the charcoal in the bottom,then poured pellets on the top.I guess you just have to layer the charcoal so it is close together

Richie

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I decided to go ahead and try pellets instead of wood chunks or chips. I found that the pellets do burn really fast, and they also spike the temperature in the smoker too. The pellets burned extremely hot!!! Even with dampening everything down it was hard to keep the temp. below 300F, which is great for chicken or Tri Tip. Not so good for ribs, pork butt, or brisket. The smoke flavor from the pellets was not as good as using wood chunks either. Pellets imparted a flavor that tasted like piss! Thank you everyone.   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky