Hard to beat the smell of cured post oak, after splitting and when burning!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
I just love sitting in front of the smoker, fresh split post oak and the same buring away.
And here's this mornings "replacement" dino's to replace the ones I shipped to Chi town.

Attachments

• IMG_1589.jpg
    IMG_1589.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 30
I need to find a source for some post oak. Love cooking over a fire with it!
I get mine (B+B brand kiln dried, but still good stuff) at Academy sports and outdoors and ACE hardware store.
Two sizes, for some reason the smaller bags seem to have higher quality, more uniform sticks in them.

Attachments

• IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 23
I need to find a source for some post oak. Love cooking over a fire with it!
Get white oak, basically the same thing. They are both from the beech family...

Reactions: zwiller
Get white oak, basically the same thing. They are both from the beech family...
Well some beech! :emoji_blush:
And good looking ribs!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: seenred
I get mine (B+B brand kiln dried, but still good stuff) at Academy sports and outdoors and ACE hardware store.
Two sizes, for some reason the smaller bags seem to have higher quality, more uniform sticks in them.
Thank you! I’ll have to look at the local ace to see what they have.

Do you think using other woods as a coal base would be ok? Or do you want to cook over a fire that is all post oak?

My local ACE did not have any in stock but I was able to order it an they had it shipped to their store for free, at least to me that is!
Took a few days to come in but well worth the wait.
If you have a cheap backyard smoker, like I do, then the "logs will need splitting or otherwise reducing in size.
Also IMHO, white oak and post oak do not smell or produce the same smoke profile.
I used to be able to buy natural non-kiln dried post oak in the Austin area but the invasion of BBQ joints has reduced the available supply and quadrupled the price.
Easier to just order from ACE.

Thank you! I’ll have to look at the local ace to see what they have.

Do you think using other woods as a coal base would be ok? Or do you want to cook over a fire that is all post oak?
Lately I've been using post oak to start the fire, but have used kingsford briquettes for decades to start fires.
The advantage to using wood to start is that I want to sneak up on the coal base and if I use briquettes my struggle to keep temps down below 300 starts right away instead of a few hours into the cook.

Would agree post oak could be different than other oaks (not tried it yet) but the question is just how much. I am using a red white oak blend for my Smokefire and it's slightly different than all white but would say it's pretty close and not really worth OCDing about ESPECIALLY when it comes to price and availability. Beech is probably my fave of all with oak being 2nd. Beech has a spicy sorta nutmeg thing where white oak has a vanilla thing to my senses BUT you can definitely tell they're related.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky