Happy to find this forum, greetings from Ohio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Todd,

This was Smoke Daddy's Perfect Mix blend (hickory, cherry, apple, maple, and pecan).  (I did a test run with your pure Hickory pellets and their Perfect Mix...the burn rates were nearly the same so I figured both are of the same quality).

And yeah, the AMNPS was flawless.  Seriously this design is fool proof.  The hardest thing about the AMNPS is typing out A-M-N-asngsidnhlryt P-S.

If you think the color is okay for bacon, then I don't need to fuss with temps and double-end burning.  I have friends coming over for breakfast, so I won't be able to report back on the taste until judged.

Jeff

I agree mostly with what Todd says.

Your color looks fine. Longer light smoke would make it darker.

If the smoke is light, some people cold smoke for days, and get great results.

I like to keep it within 8 to 14 hours, with a very small amount of heat (90˚ to 120˚) & light smoke for most of that time.

I buy my Bellies without the skin on. I believe if the skin tastes smoky, some of it didn't make it into the part I'm going to eat, but that is just my opinion---Not telling you what to do.

I never made cracklings or Pork rinds---But I'll bet they're GREAT !

Bear

Hey Todd,

This was Smoke Daddy's Perfect Mix blend (hickory, cherry, apple, maple, and pecan).  (I did a test run with your pure Hickory pellets and their Perfect Mix...the burn rates were nearly the same so I figured both are of the same quality).

And yeah, the AMNPS was flawless.  Seriously this design is fool proof.  The hardest thing about the AMNPS is typing out A-M-N-asngsidnhlryt P-S.

If you think the color is okay for bacon, then I don't need to fuss with temps and double-end burning.  I have friends coming over for breakfast, so I won't be able to report back on the taste until judged.

Jeff
If you like PERFECT Mix Pellets you can get the from Chris over at http://www.cookinpellets.com/.  I cut a deal and will stock also PERFECT Mix pellets, but just don't have them upon my website yet.

Making good bacon is a lot of trial and error, to figure out what you like.  I happen to like cold smoking my bacon, and Bearcarver likes to add a little heat.  Bear likes to use Hickory and I like Apple.  It really comes down to your preference and finding a technique to get there.

Glad to hear your bacon was a success, and my little gadget worked to your expectations!!!

THX!

Todd

Bear,

Thanks for the "light smoke and longer" tip.  I will just let the AMPSNS3* burn out completely.  I read your Bacon Extra Smoky article and will have to ponder the warm smoking technique.  My first requirement was to cold smoke below 90F, so letting things ramp up to 120F is a shock to my brain right now.

FYI, my butcher in town charges me $1.50 per pound for pork belly.  I think you mentioned $2.65.  Just so you know, there's room to negotiate.  Boston Butt goes for $1.70/lb too, which box stores sell for $2.39 at best.

Todd,  your AMNPS temp rise estimates were right on.   And as I said in another post, the design/operation is fool proof (I can look like a pro and literally do nothing other than stand there).  The only thing I would change is the acronym*.  haha

This forum has helped me (in less than a week) test 2 smoke generators, and successfully cold smoke bacon.  Very effective knowledge-base I'd say.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky