Happy Thanksgiving

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wingtipstailfeathers

Original poster
Oct 2, 2022
Happy Thanksgiving all. Decided to do a turkey on the smoker for fun since it's just my wife and I today. Hybrid brine of my favorite recipe and pops embalming fluid. Gonna sit on the smoker for 6 hours at 225. I'll pull it and sit it under the broiler to crisp the skin up a bit.
IMG_20221124_094623_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221124_095603_HDR.jpg

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Yes indeed. Happy Thanksgiving to you!
Looks like your off to the races for a great bird.
You are a bit ahead of me on prep so I better get at it!
Have a great day and post a pic of the finish.

Finished product. Skin crisped up and now resting peacefully. Tried a little piece and mmmm good. Final review and recipe to follow if it makes the cut
IMG_20221124_170920_HDR.jpg

How long was your brine time? And did you inject some in the breasts and/or the dark meat? I wish I could get the flavor of a smoked turkey, with the skin of a deep fried one. Happy turkey day.

View attachment 649344
I kinda screwed up a tented it a bit too long so not super crispy. If your looking for deep fried crispy it doesn't happen smoking. You can help by pulling a tick early and coating gently in bacon grease then under the broiler watching carefully. This was the best turkey we've ever eaten. I'll post the recipe below.

This was by far the best turkey that we've ever eaten. I would probably drop the salt just a little bit but not by much. I used three cups kosher salt, two cups brown sugar, one cup white sugar, one and a half cups molasses, three tablespoons pink salt cure number one to three gallons of water. Lots of stirring injected the breast with about three syringes full on both sides one syringe per drumstick. Cut up some citrus fruit, four bay leaves, handful of peppercorns and some Montreal steak rub and left it brine for 36 hours. After 36 hours I pulled it out of the brine stuffed the fruit in the cavity squeezing it a little bit as I put it in. Gave it a rub down with mayo to be a binder for my favorite barbecue rub. Injected a stick of butter with some swamp dust seasoning and lemon juice into the breasts and dark meat. Smoked at 225 for about a half hour a pound. Pulled it off at 160. Stick it under the broiler then tent.dont walk away from the stove this goes pretty fast . Don't tent it too long definitely messed up the skin. I've never gotten a super crispy skin w a full smoked bird unless at some point you crank up the temp. I have in the past added baking soda to my rub on chicken and it definitely helps just didn't do it on this one. If you give it a try let me know how it comes out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky