Happy Birthday USMC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr mac

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 19, 2009
Doniphan MO
During the American Revolution, many important political discussions took place in the inns and taverns of Philadelphia, including the founding of the Marine Corps. 

A committee of the Continental Congress met at Tun Tavern to draft a resolution calling for two battalions of Marines able to fight for independence at sea and on shore.  

The resolution was approved on November 10, 1775, officially forming the Continental Marines

As the first order of business, Samuel Nicholas became Commandant of the newly formed Marines. Tun Tavern’s owner and popular patriot, Robert Mullan, became his first captain and recruiter. They began gathering support and were ready for action by early 1776.  

Each year, the Marine Corps marks November 10th with a celebration of the brave spirit which compelled these men and thousands since to defend our country as United States Marines.

Happy birthday and to all who are serving and have served under the USMC banner, I thank you. 
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Last edited:
Thank you to all Marines for your service. As a person who lives in a "Marine Town" (one of the gate to Camp Pendleton opens into our town) we have a big support base here in Fallbrook. One of our traditions is to go to a restaurant and annonymously buy the meal of a Military family in a restaruant or to do the same at the grocery store. There is a Thanksgiving drive here at the local market hoping to raise $15K to feed Marine families and in the first 5 days of a 15 day fund drive they were over 50% there.

We love the sound of freedom as they practice using their weapons in the hillside on base.

God bless the Marines and the other services too

Last edited:
Fellow Devil Dogs!  Happy 235th Birthday

http://www.godaddy.com/holiday/usmc/usmc-2010.aspx?isc=gda1145

From Gen Amos, CMC

Sixty years ago, the United States Marine Corps—as it has throughout our history—demonstrated its vital role as America’s Expeditionary Force in Readiness. Just weeks after North Korean Communist forces crossed the 38th Parallel, the First Marine Provisional Brigade landed in South Korea, forming the backbone of the perimeter around the city of Pusan. The efforts of the “Fire Brigade” at Pusan allowed for the daring amphibious landing at Inchon and set the stage for one of the most savage campaigns in our Corps’ history—the Chosin Reservoir. As we pause to celebrate our 235th Birthday, we pay special tribute to the Marines of the Korean War and recognize their contributions to our enduring legacy.

This past year marked the end of Marine Corps combat operations in Iraq. Beginning with the invasion in March 2003 and through the next seven years of fighting, our Corps acquitted itself valiantly in the Anbar province and throughout the country. Locations such as Fallujah and Ramadi have taken their place in the illustrious battle history of our Corps. Our efforts in defeating the insurgency helped to build a brighter future for all Iraqis.

For 235 years, at sea and ashore, Marines have succeeded in every clime and place . . . where hardship and adversity have often been the common thread. Today, in the rugged mountains and valleys of Afghanistan—and recently in earthquake-damaged Haiti . . . in flood-ravaged Pakistan . . . or off the coast of Africa—we continue to protect our Nation, just as we did 60 years ago in Korea.

To the Marines and Sailors deployed overseas, to those training and preparing for their next deployment and to the warriors who no longer wear our uniform . . . we honor your selfless service to the Nation. To our loved ones who endure the many difficulties that come with being part of the Marine Family, I want to extend my sincerest thanks for all you have done and all you continue to do.

Happy 235th Birthday, Marines!

Semper Fidelis,

James F. Amos

General, U.S. Marine Corps

Last edited:
Amen! Happy Birthday Marines!!!

My pops was a Marine (unfortunatly he passed away a year and a half ago)!!! God Bless & Happy Birthday to all the Marines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icon_cool.gif

Yes indeed God Bless the Marines and then all of the other branches too. Our son was Marine but now he's Army. Confused I think he is. But the Marine really screwed him up in boot camp. He went in a Gator fan and came out a Alabama Roll Tide kind of Kid. See they screwed him up.

As a nephew of a retired Marine Colonel (29 Palms); I too wish the Corp a Happy Birthday!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky