Handyman Stan memorial bbq contest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 11, 2013
Well last weekend the Michigan smokers round table along with some other good friends, and handymanstan handymanstan family came together for the Handyman Stan Meat & Two contest at Wonder Dog Ranch.

We set up a meat & two smoking contest in Stan’s honor and invited his family to come out and see what Stan had enjoyed doing all these years with us. $25 entree fee, and each team had 3 hours to turn in smoked meat loaf, and two sides that had at least one smoked component in them.

The money earned will be donated to the local food bank which was Stan’s favorite charity. I’ll have to get a final count but I believe we raised right around $900.

It’s been since before Covid that the round table got everyone together so it was a great day to catch up and have some fun while remembering Stan.

We did miss humdinger humdinger as he was on vacation with his family. And also jokensmoken jokensmoken who’s battling pneumonia. And also Tom and his dad who couldn’t make this one all the way from wisconson.

In the end Cooter & Dr. Danielle won the contest with a Turkey meatloaf. Not sure about everything that was in it, but it did have grilled pineapple on top of it.

I finished in the middle with my entree but my sides of smoked cornbread, and smoked mashed potatoes were devoured.

Overall a great day, with great food & great people! It’s exactly what Stan would have loved to be a part of.

I don’t have many pics but here’s a few:

A625FE4B-8A16-4000-BF4D-2F030D94DBBA.jpeg

Some of the teams set up on the side of the barn.

59A53F3E-1346-4810-AE56-DB90BEB6DDD0.jpeg

Stan’s family with a poster of Stan we had up in the barn.

1E1639A5-9BED-4FC3-B943-67630904F111.jpeg

Meatloafs on the large smoker.

B18075E3-BB5A-425E-B34C-F2F9AADF6491.jpeg

Cam announcing the winner and the last place team. Can’t let the losers get away without giving them some flack.

059E85C6-ABAA-40E9-BDF3-CAB6E349A312.jpeg

Farmer Scott tending the the smoker.

Overall it was a great day and we dodged what was suppose to be terrible weather. I hope Stan was looking down and smiling.

Scott

Looks like a great time had by all. Obviously I didn't know him but Stan sounded like a great guy. I am sure that meant a lot to his family. Kudos to you for putting that on.

Reactions: hillbillyrkstr
Stan was a great guy. Always willing to help out no matter how big the party. Always asking what he could do.

That's great . Looks like a good time for a good reason .
Nicely done bud .

That is absolutely awesome!! What a fantastic way to pay tribute to such a great person. I'll be reaching out to TNJAKE TNJAKE to see about doing a similar tribute to our dearly departed friend Chef Jimmy at the '22 TN gathering. I have something very special in the freezer that was intended for his family Christmas dinner but sadly he left us shortly before the holidays. Been waiting for the right time and right occasion to break it out and the thought hit me over the weekend.

Kudos to you and your friends for keeping the memories alive!!

Robert

That's awesome! And a great way to honor him and invite his family to be a part of it all! Not to mention all the great food! Smoked mashed potatoes...you might be my new best friend! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

That's awesome! And a great way to honor him and invite his family to be a part of it all! Not to mention all the great food! Smoked mashed potatoes...you might be my new best friend! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Lol!

It was just something I thought you needed with meatloaf. Gave it a try. They came out pretty good. Bacon, cheese, and jalapeños in them. Had a good smokey flavor.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Very nice, and a great tribute to Stan.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky