Ham Twins (Double Smoked)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have an 8# ham. not fully cooked.  does 7 Hr. at 200* + 1 hr at 270* seem likely to work out. I. will pull it at 135* internal. But would like a ball park on time and temps.

see double smoked ham..

George

Not sure what you mean by "Not Fully Cooked".

Is it smoked, yet not cooked?

You can't do a fresh "Raw" Ham this way.

And most of them have to go higher than 135* IT, unless it says so on the package.

Have to know:

Already Cured?

Smoked?

Cooked?

Or none of the above.

Bear

It is not a grocery store ham. It was custom cured from a pig I had custom slaughtered. The pig was split 4 ways which I was not happy about. this year we will get 1/2 a pig.  I don't know how much smoke if any was involved in the curing. I have eaten the bacon and smoked fish from the shop that did the cutting and curing and their products are quite good.  Reading your post that you smoked to 135* where min recommended temp for a " precooked ham is 130* . I realized I would need to modify that. So I checked with the "old farm journal cook book"  their recommendation was  cook to a minimum of 130* for fully cooked hams. and 160* for cured but not fully cooked hams. So I have been smoking it since 9AM  West coast time. Starting at 200* then boosted to 210/220 after 4 hours. Then afte 6 hours I boosted the temp again. at that point the Internal temp was 152*.. I have been basting every 1/2 hour  since 2PM. it is now 3:30.. And it is time to check the temps.. I think I will aim for 165* internal Then rest. There is a lot of liquid in the glass pie plate tat the ham sits in. should I skim at at this pont or wait till I take it out of the smoker.?

Thanks for the reply.

George

I pulled it at 5:30 at 165* internal.  External was 275* which was full tilt boogie for my variac. [~125% of line voltage}  My fancy digital temp controller doesn't turn off. so it is relegated to a temp sensor.  It could be OE or DOA. .

The ham is very pretty. the flavor and texture is yet to be determined. The flavor of the juices in the pan is excellent..

I will report on the eating later.

George

I pulled it at 5:30 at 165* internal.  External was 275* which was full tilt boogie for my variac. [~125% of line voltage}  My fancy digital temp controller doesn't turn off. so it is relegated to a temp sensor.  It could be OE or DOA. .

The ham is very pretty. the flavor and texture is yet to be determined. The flavor of the juices in the pan is excellent..

I will report on the eating later.

George

Sorry I wasn't here until now.

Sounds like you did good. I probably would have pulled it at 160*, like they said, but as long as it didn't dry out, you should be good.

I'm betting it's awesome!!

Bear

I let it rest in a prewarmed oven while we went out to dinner and a movie. I had a piece for a midnight snack and the flavor is good. texture on the surface under the bark is a bit dry but moist to the chew if that makes sense. Overall I wont know till we slice it.  Probably 160* would have been better.  If my wife likes it i will do a brisket next using the Montreal smoked meat cure. 

Thanks for the encouragement.

George

Gotta say, the hams looked good. A little disappointed though seeing the gravy. If you take the ham drippings and boil them while adding a water/cornstarch mix, you get the best damn redeye gravy there is. It's so good you won't even care about eatin the ham. Well, that might be a stretch but not by much. I know this is an old post but I couldn't resist. Got my new smoker and I'm going to challenge myself to see if I can bring off a brisket flat,2 chickens, 2 racks of ribs, and 1 ham at the same time, without screwing anything up. Happy new year men. I'll try and post some pics.

Gotta say, the hams looked good. A little disappointed though seeing the gravy. If you take the ham drippings and boil them while adding a water/cornstarch mix, you get the best damn redeye gravy there is. It's so good you won't even care about eatin the ham. Well, that might be a stretch but not by much. I know this is an old post but I couldn't resist. Got my new smoker and I'm going to challenge myself to see if I can bring off a brisket flat,2 chickens, 2 racks of ribs, and 1 ham at the same time, without screwing anything up. Happy new year men. I'll try and post some pics.
Thank You!!

Actually that's how we usually make our Gravy, but for some reason Mrs Bear made Brown Gravy on this one.

Here's a Better Step by Step of my Double Smoked Hams, and we had "Ham Gravy" on this one. I didn't mention it, but you can see it in the pics:

Double Smoked Hams Times 4      

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky