Ham extravaganza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dennis8483

Original poster
Dec 28, 2020
2 bear roasts. 5 deer roasts. 2 deer hindquarters. Brined 8 days and injected. Smoked 8 hours. Finished on grill just to get to final temp. Venison holds more salt than bear... meat is more dense. Comparable to good salt cured ham. Bear ham has more marbling and is far superior.
20210130_165644.jpg
20210130_173311.jpg
20210130_173303.jpg

They are beautiful!!!! Can I have 1 or 2 1/4" slices of ANY OF THOSE GREAT LOOKING MEATS?! I would love to make them into a schnitzel with a cream mushroom Jägersauce and serve with a side of Spätzle, rot kraut (red kraut), hot Brotchen and definitely 2 or 3L of a Hefeweizen! 🍻

Reactions: JLeonard
Nice work. What was the occasion?
Nothing special really... Did my first one, a single hind quarter a few weeks ago. Was so satisfied with it, I decided to do a freezer clean out to make what would be about a years worth of ham to vac seal for the family. Wife and I have a surplus of deer meat this year... 6 deer in freezer. Usually 3 or 4 does us well.

Looks great. I got a deer roast like yours in Pop's Brine with a couple small additions for my first attempt ever. Also got 2 pork loins for CB waiting with one on Original Pop's and one that I injected a mix of honey, maple syrup and Cedar Ridge Malted Rye Whiskey then into Pop's Brine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky