Ham and Bean Soup (Ham Hock)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
Well here’s another one I made using what’s on hand at the house without venturing outside. Thank goodness carrots and celery last a long time in the fridge. The wife and I could get 4 nights out of this.

Ham and Bean Soup

1 ham hock
5 carrots, sliced
4 stalks of celery, plus a few leaves sliced
1 large red onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1lb. dry white beans soaked overnight (I used cannelli)
2qts chicken stock
4 cups of water + bouillon ( I added this so I had enough liquid to cover the ham.
Seasoning: black pepper, thyme, dried parsley and 2 bay leaves.

I pulled a ham hock out of the freezer earlier in the week to thaw. The ones I get are pretty meaty. If you get one that doesn’t have much meat, add leftover ham. That’s a big bowl too.

40A8DC25-3989-4041-84F1-AE048B70ABEE.jpeg

Heat up some bacon grease in a large soup pot and add the diced onions, carrot and celery. Cook over medium high heat until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook 1-2 minutes longer.
8AAAF861-D5D3-4A4D-812E-B550EED9054C.jpeg

Next, add the ham hock, liquid, beans and seasonings. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
I used an extra 4 cups of water and “better than bouillon chicken” to cover the ham hock. Seasoning wasn’t measured but I was heavy handed on the thyme, dried parsley and black pepper. I don’t add salt. The ham and stock provides plenty.
52131B9D-A2C0-4C4A-BAEE-99590700639C.jpeg

After turning heat down to a simmer, cover and let simmer 2.5 hours. Remove the ham hock from the soup and seperate the meat. If you want, you can smash a few beans with the soup ladle to thicken it up a bit. I don’t go crazy with it because I still like the texture and look of seeing whole beans.

Here’s the hock just falling apart.
127E593A-2D3A-4128-A4C5-1280960D5CD8.jpeg

Remove the meat and add back to the soup. There’s well over a cup of meat here. More like 1.5 cups.
AE42B47E-3182-40D7-A028-C3AD05ABB72E.jpeg

Enjoyed it the next day with some cornbread.
BAB41C1A-86C9-468A-82FB-8F69FB687777.jpeg

This is another one of my favorites. Comfy, hearty and filling, especially with some bread on the side and doesn’t require many ingredients or steps.

Thanks for looking and stay safe out there.

Joe

Looks Great, Joe!!
Similar to what we make!!
However I usually save a lot of the outer smoky surface of my Double Smoked Ham to get more meat into the mix. That part is usually a little on the hard side, and softens up in the Ham & Beans cooking.
I Like.

Bear

Joe the soup king strikes again!! Great looking pot of soup Joe. We are kinda getting out of soup season. Temps getting up into the low 90's the past couple days and with Tracy working from home, she doesn't need stuff to take to work for her lunch. I have this saved and printed from a previous post (or PM??) you shared when we were bouncing stuff back and forth.

Robert

That's a great looking bowl of soup Joe.

Yea! Ham & bean soup. Comfy , hearty & filling for sure. Yours looks great.
Points for sure!
I bet that was delicious Joe! Awesome meal for using whats on hand!
Nice! Ham & bean soup always hits the spot
Nice. One of my favorite meals. You nailed it
Soup looks great Joe! I could hit a few bowls of that for sure. LIKE!

Thanks guys! It’s going to hit the spot for a few more days.

Looks Great, Joe!!
Similar to what we make!!
However I usually save a lot of the outer smoky surface of my Double Smoked Ham to get more meat into the mix. That part is usually a little on the hard side, and softens up in the Ham & Beans cooking.
I Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear! These were smoked ham hocks with a substantial amount of meat on them. I bet the double smoked ham goes really well! I’ll have to remember to save some!

Joe the soup king strikes again!! Great looking pot of soup Joe. We are kinda getting out of soup season. Temps getting up into the low 90's the past couple days and with Tracy working from home, she doesn't need stuff to take to work for her lunch. I have this saved and printed from a previous post (or PM??) you shared when we were bouncing stuff back and forth.

Robert

Thanks for the kind words Robert. It’s supposed to be 50s with rain the next few days, so I could tolerate it for a few days. Looking forward to more grilling and less souping.

Looks great Joe !

Thanks Chop! I appreciate it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky