Had to freeze soppresota before fermentation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TStep

Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Hello, New to the forum but have lurked over the years. Great forum you have.

To the question at hand. Making soppresota using 2.75% salt, cure #2, and bactoferm f-lc feeding on 0.75% dextrose producing lactic acid as the preservative measure. Then intend on fermenting and air drying to finish.

Ground and stuffed yesterday, but had to freeze due to unforeseen circumstances. So the sausage was made and frozen prior to the fermentation stage of 98 degrees for 30-40 hrs controlled via sous vide.

I'm new to the bactoferm F-LC. Are there any issues with the intermediate freeze in the middle of the process? Everything I have read on the culture is that it will just go inactive under 59 degrees, but refreezing is not specifically mentioned.

Anyone know for sure that the F-LC culture will restart itself and perform as expected?

Have you inoculated already with culture? If yes, the culture already started working...then stopped when you froze the meat. I dont think it will restart after freezing. Either way, in my opinion, is safe to (re) inoculate after you thaw the meat.

Yes, culture was mixed into the meat dissolved in distilled water and dextrose as a food source, then frozen. The question is now will the culture restart when temp raised to the 98 degrees suggested for fermentation and lactic acid production. Reintroduction of culture is not possible since it is mixed throughout the soppresota.

Got it. I missed the "stuffed" keyword.

I don't know if the culture will restart. I would not count on it. As far as i know (little) cultures go dormant in "dry" form (in freezer temps). No longer the case here since you mixed with liquid and meat.

You can make non-fermented soppressata or restuff the meat after re-inoculation.

Appreciate the insight. I've thought about just immediately going traditional, but I've decided to ride this out and see what happens. I'm going to grab some litmus paper and try to determine the ph after 30 hours.

I've yet to receive written response from CHR Hansen. Will post for others if I get a response.

I intend on keeping the degree hours under 1000 total so this should have kept the ecoli / staph strains in check. This is discounting the short/med term protection provided by the salt and nitrite/nitrate cure #2. So the sausage should be safe.

If the ph has dropped below 5.3, I'll just proceed with drying on the fast track. If not, I'll probably traditionally dry a portion at 40-50 degrees, as under 60 will really slow the bad bug growth. If I'm experimenting at this point, I might finish some off like smoked keilbasa and bring the appropriate temp-time up to killing off the bad stains.

I'm in Atomic's camp on this... Dried bacteria will freeze fine.... Wet bacteria not so much... The little critters may explode from the ice crystals rupturing their fragile bodies...
I don't know if Sous vide is a proper way to warm the meat for the bloom to happen... Do NOT vac pack if you do... Aerobic, Anaerobioc ... May have an impact on the critters...

my way of thinking may be a bit different ... you said that you used cure #2.... (not familiar with spraying or adding culture) but once cure #2 is mixed my understanding is that after thawed and meat processing time delay of nitrate to nitrite should inhibit bad stiff to grow.... question is how successful you are going to be to avoid creating bad enviroment for nasty stuff to grow..

The cure #2 should be protecting now and ongoing. The lactic acid from the culture should provide a ph of around 5.0 which in turn should combat the bad strains. Then the dehydration to 70% of initial weight or less should protect long term.

The caveat is will the starter culture revive itself after freezing.

Seems like all went well. Ate a bunch, no issues.

Picture is at 30% weight loss after sous vide fermentation for 1000 degree-hours (avg of about 90* for 30 hours plus allowance for other time above 60*). Casing size was on the smallish size, 30mm edible collagen. Dried at about 57* avg. Still needs a bit of drying on the inside, maybe 40% target before placing them in an oil bath for storage.

I can taste a bit of of sour from the fast ferment. Flavor needs to develop as well. Overall happy though.

Attachments

• IMG_7525.JPG
    IMG_7525.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 6
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky