Had an idea while grinding a brisket .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I was grinding a nice choice brisket .I have 3 no roll in the freezer . Grabbed the wrong one .
This one was really flexible and tender out of the bag . As I was cutting I had a couple pieces that just seemed to need attention in another way .
So I culled them out and saved them from the grinder .
The thicker one got wrapped with bacon seasoned up and in the fridge over night . Headed to the smoker in the morning .
The other 2 got seasoned and on to the gas grill .
20200921_130516.jpg 20200921_130710.jpg
The smell from grilling was fantastic . The char was really good . Medium rare was to tough .
The thinner one was more to the well done side and pretty good . Put the thicker one back on .
The parts that were well done weren't bad . Any less was chewy .
20200921_134720.jpg
So next morning I got the bacon wrapped on out of the fridge . I had to put coarse salt and pepper on it .
20200922_101834.jpg
Let the MES 30 heat up for an hour at 250 , then put the meat on . 10:30 am .
Got busy with some stuff . Standing in the kitchen at 4 pm I had an oh crap moment .
Took an instant read out to the smoker . Temp was 204 . Perfectly probe tender .
Never did start any smoke , but that 30 is s well seasoned it still gets some flavor .
20200922_162058.jpg
I was making supper for the night , but I had to slice some and try it .
Really tender .
20200922_162256.jpg 20200922_162437.jpg
Put the rest in the fridge .
Next day I cubed it up , put some store bought sauce on it . Nuked until warmed thru .
My gosh that was good . Not sure if it could be called burnt ends . I've never had any so , not sure about that .
20200923_095245.jpg 20200923_095251.jpg
This was super good . Next brisket I grind I'll pull 3 serving size hunks out and wrap with bacon and smoke to probe tender .
Heck , I just might try the whole packer cut up into serving size pieces . The grilled pieces , not something I would do again .
Just thought I would post it .

Last edited:
Boy howdy, that is a great idea Rich! I'm thinking of grinding brisket for when I make my hipshot burgers, and doing some smaller portions like you did would be a great way to get a few meals out of a packer without having to do the whole thing. I was just at Sam's yesterday and they had whole prime packers for $2.83lb, not having had any company for about seven months now I just passed on it, but that'd work great for the hipshot burgers and a couple three small smokes on the Weber. RAY

Ray I could have put the bacon wrapped one on a bun just like it was . So tender . I'll be doing it again for sure . I'm all about getting the most for my money in these times . Less trips the better .
Thanks for looking buddy .

I hear you Rich, I don't throw money away ever! Does the section you part out come from the point or flat, I was thinking point. RAY

Reactions: JC in GB
I was just cutting into grinding size , when those caught my eye . Should have smoked it all . Pretty sure the " filet " looking one was from the point .

I grind brisket all the time, I don’t buy store bought ground beef, but if you want to kick it up a notch, try 2 1/2 lbs ground brisket & 1 1/2 lbs ground pork belly. Talk about a heart attack on a bun, but this thing is outrageous. Judy asks for a greasy cheeseburger every once in a while & this is just what the Dr. ordered!
Al

I've turned a packer into burger meat too and it needed some chuck or other cut added.
It was too gamey and after removing all the hard fat before grinding, it needed some added back in.
If I were to do it again, the pork fat idea sounds about right.

Reactions: JC in GB
I buy whole packers and grind up the point and trim meat. I like point burgers far better than it coming out of the smoker.

Just love how by proper selection and processing one can turn a vulgar cut of meat into a gourmet delight.

It is simply amazing the amount of knowledge I have acquired through this site. So many great cooks and all around good folks here.

JC :emoji_cat:

All in grinding your own! I prefer grinding chuck over brisket - mostly due it being MUCH easier to prep. love the taste of both. I cant buy store ground beef - grosses me out. I read a study about how many cows are in a pound - its in the hundreds. Mine/ours. usually one or two!

Last edited:
Great post chop. Wally World here has briskets here $2.96 this week. I'm sure they are choice. But a great save on your part for something very tasty.

Warren

Reactions: chopsaw
This wasn't about grinding brisket . I guess I should not have put that in the thread title .
I had an idea while grinding a brisket would have been better .

I prefer to go directly to our local slaughter house/butcher shop and get my meat. It's always fresh. They might let it Green Hang for 3-4 days in the Freezer before butchering a half side of beef, but it only ages it for 3-4 days. My wife works at Walmart in the Meat & Produce Department, and after what she's came home and told me about their meat we won't purchase any from there.

I've often wondered about taking a small cut from brisket as I was gringing them. Glad you posted this... answered sime questions I had rolling around in my head. That fillet looking one would be awesome on a sandwich! Nice thread chop!

That fillet looking one would be awesome on a sandwich! Nice thread chop!
Thanks . It was tender enough I could have put it on a bun as is . Something about brisket . When you get it right it's so good . Next one you do try it out . I already want to try another . Might go get one , break it into sections and freeze it .

Reactions: Sowsage
So jealous, brisket hasn't been under $4.49/lb for ever here. Last one we had for Xmas, the wife paid over $5 but that was on the menu.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky