Hüttenspeck --- Cottage Bacon--with Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shannon127

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 8, 2012
Harrisburg PA
Thought I would share some pictures of my latest attempt to make Hüttenspeck.  It German style bacon made from pork loin.  It is a very simple recipe as it only has salt, cure #2, white and brown sugar, pepper and garlic.  Once I get the recipe to a point where I am satisfied, I will be sure to post.  Anyhow, I hope you enjoy these pictures.

Dry cured for 2 weeks

Cold smoked for 3 hours every 3rd day for 2 weeks

Hang to dry to 75% moisture

This is at 83.4% moisture, but I just could not wait to try it.  It should have been dried enough by now, but we had nearly a week with humidity levels over 90%

The results is a little too salty at this point and still has somewhat of a cure taste.  I am going to cut the salt level to 2.6% from 2.9%, but I am realy hestitant to cut the cure down.  Maybe another 2-3 weeks of aging/drying will help with that.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: diggingdogfarm
It seems to me that aging will just increase the saltiness. I use to buy Smithfield ham (dry ham)  and soak a slice in water the night before cooking it, you might try that.

Agreed about the saltiness, it will only increase as it dries.  That is why I was going to reduce the salt in the next batch.  I am not sure however if further aging/drying will reduce the "cure taste". 

You may want to try the cure #2 from SausageMaker.
It's used at the same rate, but has less nitrate....that should make a difference.

SausageMaker Cure #2
Sodium Nitrite 6.25%
Sodium Nitrate 1.0%

Butcher & Packer Cure #2
Sodium Nitrite 5.67%
Sodium Nitrate 3.63%

~Martin

Reactions: shannon127
Thanks Martin, that is extremely helpful.  The cure 2 I have been using has over 3 1/2 times the nitrate of TSM Cure 2.  I am wondering how long I am going to have to wait for the Nitrate to be converted and dissipate

This looks great. Nice cut whom did you buy the Pork from?...JJ

That one was Hatfield and came from Price Rite.  The brand they carry varies, but have yet to get a substandard loin.  Actually when they ran the $1.69 a pound sale, the had a different brand which had about 1/2 inch of fat.  I heard to ladies complaining about it, so of course I went and bought 3 with the thickest fat caps.

Shannon, morning..... I don't know squat about dry curing.... I have read the nitrate needs bacteria and temps above 50 deg F to convert to nitrite and other compounds....  continued hanging, aging at appropriate temps should get rid of the taste issues....  Most dry cured products take months to achieve the final "Oh my G-D that is good" flavor....   Patience....  

I should start dry aging and learning something.... I do love the eating part...   Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, I think I will try it again in about 2 weeks.  The waiting is always the hardest part.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky