Gyro on the Trompo King

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I had a good time with the chicken shawarma last week on the Trompo. I got to wondering if I could pull off gyro meat on it. I’ve never tried to do a gyro loaf before so off I went. First up 3 medium onions and 7 cloves of minced garlic minced very finely in the food processor. Once it was nice minced I pressed as much juice out as possible. (processed one more time after this pic)
6E2DCFF2-1C7C-44FF-90A0-4D6CEFD158B4.jpeg
Didn’t get pics but the spice mix was 3 to 3 1/2 T each of Mediterranean oregano, cumin, marjoram, ground rosemary, ground thyme and medium grind black pepper.1 T salt. The base recipe I started with was far lower in spice amounts but as I worked the meat I did fry tests until it was where I wanted it. Meat is 6 lbs. 80/20 ground beef and 4 lbs ground lamb. Went with that ratio simply because lamb is so expensive. The key to this is to put the mix in the Kitchen Aide with the paddle tool and beat it up until the protein breaks down. If you don’t you end up with meatloaf texture. I processed this 3 times until I was satisfied with flavor and texture. Top pic is prior to beating it up in the mixer
7078C3E1-4310-44B3-8B3B-72A0A8B7A77D.jpeg
BCFB6A45-5C0E-4234-A08C-9A0BA6476F79.jpeg
I made a nice tight roll in foil using 8 lbs of the meat. From my estimation that was about all the Trompo would handle. I pressed the remaining two lbs in a foil pan. Into the overnight to let it firm up. At this point I was not sure if it was going to work on the Trompo. I figured if it started to lose its structural integrity I’d move it to a pan. Here it is going into the Lang.
66033AD9-FF2D-4C6E-8B96-7185388878DF.jpeg
Rolling cherry wood smoke at 300-325F to get the outside set ASAP. Checking at the hour mark looking good. Nice and firm on the Trompo.
23251314-26CB-4BBF-B3C0-BD8A5ABBEEF0.jpeg
While it was smoking I prepped lettuce, cucumber, red onion, kalamata olives, Campari tomatoes and feta cheese. The night before I made a batch of my low carb Tzatziki sauce. It’s lower carb by using sour cream instead of Greek yogurt. Folks rave about it. Simple recipe 2 cups sour cream , 2 cups shredded cucumber, 4 cloves minced garlic, 4 T fresh finely chopped dill, 2T lemon juice, 2T olive oil 1/2 t salt (or more to taste) About the 4 1/2 hour mark it’s up to temp 155+ and I pulled to let it coast up to 160F. I should mention that at about the 3 hour mark I tented it with foil to keep the outside from burning. Used Mission whole wheat low carb (3 net)wraps in place of pita bread. Here are some finish pics.
11B15F8A-ADAB-47C6-BCB2-F787C2EF9C6D.jpeg
E9B50859-31A2-426E-B06F-5E37D48BD090.jpeg
0C6FB909-D9B7-45AD-B481-AEEEC2B066C9.jpeg
Whelp that’s a wrap ( literally lol). I was very pleased with both the flavor and the texture of the loaf. The meat on the pan came out very good as well. Honestly it was a bit easier to slice. This is already friend and neighbor approved. I’ll be serving this up for football eats tomorrow when my brother and I watch the game. Thanks for looking!

Your blending/texture of the meat looks right, and seems to have held up good. When mixed right you should have a far amount of sinew on you dough hook when mixing is done. :emoji_thumbsup:

After we used to mix in the mixer , than we would take a large amount and pound/throw it onto the counter to toughen it up more and and than onto the spit and twine it up to just help hold until it starts to cook on the spit.

1663500479607.png
looks great,

David

Reactions: indaswamp
Another masterpiece Jeff, just an incredible piece of work! This should inspire someone to get around to fixing the carousel, deserves the bright lights for sure. RAY

Excellent! :emoji_thumbsup:
Quote function doesn't seem to be working for me...
If I ever get off my butt and make gyro meat, my plan was to do it like the ground formed bacon I have done in the past.
I liked the ~2" wide slices it made, when made in a square cake pan. It was easy to slice on the slicer and vac sealed well.

Reactions: jcam222
Looks great, I would chow down on a couple plates of that. I use the same recipe for my tzatziki when I make gyros. I am not as ambitious as you with the meat. I just buy 10lb of shaved beef/lamb meat from restaurant depot.

Totally cool. I've made a version using a double tin but I have wanted to do gyro meat on my Trompo. Very nice. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I will copy you.
Thanks

That looks simply amazing!! Creativity was off the charts and the finished product looks delicious!! I'll never forget my first gyro and how much I loved it. Still gt that love affair with them too. One of the best "sandwiches" a person can ever have.
Carousel worthy!!!
I agree 100%....except that we don't have a carousel any more :emoji_laughing: Hopefully it'll be back soon.

Robert

OUTSTANDING! You presentation is always top notch! Carousel worthy!!! Thanks for the recipe rundown!

Dammit Man!
That looks superb!

You nailed the gyro! Wow I would pay for a plate. Nicely done Chef. Yup, oh yeah.

Looks awesome and delicious, thanks for sharing this!!

Wow that looks good! Home run for sure.

Another masterpiece Jeff, just an incredible piece of work! This should inspire someone to get around to fixing the carousel, deserves the bright lights for sure. RAY

Looks amazing !!

Looks great, I would chow down on a couple plates of that. I use the same recipe for my tzatziki when I make gyros. I am not as ambitious as you with the meat. I just buy 10lb of shaved beef/lamb meat from restaurant depot.

Totally cool. I've made a version using a double tin but I have wanted to do gyro meat on my Trompo. Very nice. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I will copy you.
Thanks

Looks great, would love to try a sample.

That looks simply amazing!! Creativity was off the charts and the finished product looks delicious!! I'll never forget my first gyro and how much I loved it. Still gt that love affair with them too. One of the best "sandwiches" a person can ever have.

I agree 100%....except that we don't have a carousel any more :emoji_laughing: Hopefully it'll be back soon.

Robert

Hot Damn Jeff! That is just outstanding man!

Too bad the Browns and their new elf lost to the Jets! 😂
Thanks all for the compliments. All in all a great meal. I plan on doing it again and adjusting spices further. This is absolutely delicious according to friends and family but not quite where I want it. I froze a little so I can compare to some commercially prepared meat soon.

Your blending/texture of the meat looks right, and seems to have held up good. When mixed right you should have a far amount of sinew on you dough hook when mixing is done. :emoji_thumbsup:

After we used to mix in the mixer , than we would take a large amount and pound/throw it onto the counter to toughen it up more and and than onto the spit and twine it up to just help hold until it starts to cook on the spit.

View attachment 643884 looks great,

David

Excellent! :emoji_thumbsup:
Quote function doesn't seem to be working for me...
If I ever get off my butt and make gyro meat, my plan was to do it like the ground formed bacon I have done in the past.
I liked the ~2" wide slices it made, when made in a square cake pan. It was easy to slice on the slicer and vac sealed well.
Texture was very close to commercial products. To be honest the Trompo makes for a unique presentation if serving guests. That’ said the stuff in the pan was far easier to slice. I’ll likely do more in pans next time for nice consistent slices to freeze.

pan was far easier to slice. I’ll likely do more in pans next time for nice consistent slices to freeze.

Now that I make it for home , mostly for Mona.
I just make it the way I always did but now into a loaf and into the smoker/ bbq
as I do not have a spit set up

3.JPG 4.JPG 8.JPG

David

I had a good time with the chicken shawarma last week on the Trompo. I got to wondering if I could pull off gyro meat on it. I’ve never tried to do a gyro loaf before so off I went. First up 3 medium onions and 7 cloves of minced garlic minced very finely in the food processor. Once it was nice minced I pressed as much juice out as possible. (processed one more time after this pic)View attachment 643865Didn’t get pics but the spice mix was 3 to 3 1/2 T each of Mediterranean oregano, cumin, marjoram, ground rosemary, ground thyme and medium grind black pepper.1 T salt. The base recipe I started with was far lower in spice amounts but as I worked the meat I did fry tests until it was where I wanted it. Meat is 6 lbs. 80/20 ground beef and 4 lbs ground lamb. Went with that ratio simply because lamb is so expensive. The key to this is to put the mix in the Kitchen Aide with the paddle tool and beat it up until the protein breaks down. If you don’t you end up with meatloaf texture. I processed this 3 times until I was satisfied with flavor and texture. Top pic is prior to beating it up in the mixer View attachment 643866View attachment 643867I made a nice tight roll in foil using 8 lbs of the meat. From my estimation that was about all the Trompo would handle. I pressed the remaining two lbs in a foil pan. Into the overnight to let it firm up. At this point I was not sure if it was going to work on the Trompo. I figured if it started to lose its structural integrity I’d move it to a pan. Here it is going into the Lang.View attachment 643868Rolling cherry wood smoke at 300-325F to get the outside set ASAP. Checking at the hour mark looking good. Nice and firm on the Trompo. View attachment 643869While it was smoking I prepped lettuce, cucumber, red onion, kalamata olives, Campari tomatoes and feta cheese. The night before I made a batch of my low carb Tzatziki sauce. It’s lower carb by using sour cream instead of Greek yogurt. Folks rave about it. Simple recipe 2 cups sour cream , 2 cups shredded cucumber, 4 cloves minced garlic, 4 T fresh finely chopped dill, 2T lemon juice, 2T olive oil 1/2 t salt (or more to taste) About the 4 1/2 hour mark it’s up to temp 155+ and I pulled to let it coast up to 160F. I should mention that at about the 3 hour mark I tented it with foil to keep the outside from burning. Used Mission whole wheat low carb (3 net)wraps in place of pita bread. Here are some finish pics.View attachment 643870View attachment 643871View attachment 643872Whelp that’s a wrap ( literally lol). I was very pleased with both the flavor and the texture of the loaf. The meat on the pan came out very good as well. Honestly it was a bit easier to slice. This is already friend and neighbor approved. I’ll be serving this up for football eats tomorrow when my brother and I watch the game. Thanks for looking!
Looks incredible I will have to try that sometime!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky