Gutting the MES when doing the mailbox mod?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Do most of you who do the mailbox mod remove the chip tray, box and chip loader tube all together?   Any purpose in keeping it installed?  We all know that DaveOmak gutted his MES and it looks very roomy.  I'm finishing up a major mod on my MES40 and need to decide if I should put most of the tray related items back into position.

If you are removing everything,  any fancy heat deflector / element protector residing above the element? Maybe just a water or drip pan big enough to umbrella most of the element?

Last edited:
Do most of you who do the mailbox mod remove the chip tray, box and chip loader tube all together?   Any purpose in keeping it installed?  We all know that DaveOmak gutted his MES and it looks very roomy.  I'm finishing up a major mod on my MES40 and need to decide if I should put most of the tray related items back into position.

If you are removing everything,  any fancy heat deflector residing above the element? Maybe just a water or drip pan big enough to umbrella most of the element?
Good question. I am wondering the same thing. I've got even heating across the second from the top rack with a little deflection and raising the water pan up to the second from the bottom level on my Gen 1 40. I didn't want t mess that up so I left the chip housing/tray/ loader tunnel in the smoker. I still add a couple briquettes to the chip tray at the beginning of the smoke for a smoke ring.
-Kurt

Kurt,

At least you have a pretty valid excuse in keeping your tray intact since you are using briquettes.  Since I am reserving this smoker for fish, I don't plan on using any briquettes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky