Guinness Beef Stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

knifebld

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
Valleyfield, Quebec
Didn't notice this section of the forum until now...so decided to contribute one of my family's favorites:

Ingredients:

- 4 lbs Beef stew meat cut in 1" cubes
- 6 Slices Bacon, cut into small pieces

- 3 ½ cups Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1 x ½ inch pieces (you can also use small new potatoes cut in half)
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 ½ cups (½ inch thick) diagonal slices carrot
- 3 stalks celery, cut into ¾ inch pieces
- 1 cup (½ inch thick) cubed peeled turnip

- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves

- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup tomato paste

- 3 cups chicken stock, or enough to cover
- 12-ounce bottle Guinness Draught beer

Steps:

1. Cook and stir bacon in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until bacon is browned and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn off heat and transfer bacon into a large stew pot. Keep bacon fat.

2. Stir and combine the flour, 2 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoon pepper. Add the beef stew meat and toss to coat. Tap off excess, and transfer the flour dredged stew meat to a plate. Discard any leftover flour.

3. Using olive oil, sear the meat on all sides. Set meat aside

4. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the onions and ¼ teaspoon of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, 8 to 10 minutes.

5. Add the tomato paste and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for an additional 1 minute.

6. Remove from Heat

7. Add Bacon grease, Guinness, Black Pepper, Salt, and Brown Sugar

8. Stir

9. Add meat & vegetables (Potatoes, Carrots, Celery, and Turnips) and Bay Leaves.

10. Top off with Chicken stock

11. Stir

12. Place the Dutch oven in the BGE at 225 degrees for 6-7 hours

13. ¼ cup of flour to thicken (if needed)

Note: I've made this over a campfire too and it's fantastic...hope you enjoy! ;)

66025180_10156417895186497_2411904190046535680_n.jpg 65594594_10156417895251497_835204296772419584_n.jpg

WOW!! This looks and sounds fantastic. It's going into my ever growing book of recipes and in the next few months when the temps drop below 90 degrees, I'm gonna be making this!! Since it's just the two of us I'll probably do a half batch so we can have dinner and some leftovers to freeze.

Awed!!
Robert

WOW!! This looks and sounds fantastic. It's going into my ever growing book of recipes and in the next few months when the temps drop below 90 degrees, I'm gonna be making this!! Since it's just the two of us I'll probably do a half batch so we can have dinner and some leftovers to freeze.

LOL Thanks buddy!

My wife's parents are Irish and my mother-in-law can't believe that her Canadian son-in-law makes the best Irish stew she's ever had! Can't get a better compliment than that! ;)

Hard to beat a hearty Guinness stew on a cold damp day. Looks great.

Absolutely right! It's a must for some of our cold fall camping trips every year...also kinda fun to have a stew cooking over an open flame while sucking back a few beers! ;)

Looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.

It is! One of those recipes I will be passing down to my kids!

Reactions: JC in GB
Well, I have to agree, that's a damned high compliment!! I learned long ago that if you can make the MIL happy, you've won half the battle :emoji_laughing: Makes things much happier at home if the in-laws like you....and even better if they like your cooking.

You're claiming victory!!
Robert

You're claiming victory!!

I know right! Of course my wife wasn't too pleased that her mom prefers my cooking than hers...but she still couldn't argue that the stew was pretty darn good!

Great post. I enjoyed it. Cool looking set up too! Like!

Wasn't sure about it at first...my brother got me the cast iron cauldron for Christmas and wasn't sure how often I was going to use it...but works very well for stews, chili, or any slow cooked meals...heck we even boiled our corn in it a few weeks back! Thanks for the like!

Man o man this looks good! I cannot wait to try...funny, we love turnips in our venison stew. I didn’t know if that was common or not.

My grandmother immigrated here from Ireland and made a wonderful beef stew. I don't remember here adding guinness to it. I'll have to try it out in her recipe this winter.

Thanks
Point for sure
Chris

My grandmother immigrated here from Ireland and made a wonderful beef stew. I don't remember here adding guinness to it. I'll have to try it out in her recipe this winter.

Thanks Chris...aside from the Guinness....am curious as to how different the rest is to your grandmothers recipe?

Thanks Chris...aside from the Guinness....am curious as to how different the rest is to your grandmothers recipe?

There isn't a whole lot of difference. She would use a homemade beef stock, I don't remember her using brown sugar(that doesn't mean she didn't) it just means she either left it off the recipe list or she didn't tell anyone. She used one pot to sear the floured meat in a combo of bacon grease and veggie oil. Then added the veggies and potatoes to the mix and cooked them down a little. Added the beef stock to the mix and let it roll. When we lived in NY city she used lamb, but when we moved to VT - beef replaced the lamb. Potatoes were usually any type that didn't have a heavy skin, and turnips weren't added to the stew they were served raw in a container of salted water(cut thin like shoestring potatoes). She never really told us the whole recipe. Just enough so we could make it, but not the exact same way she did it. That way we always looked forward to going to her house for Sunday night dinner.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky