Guaranteed 'Dumb' Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mls

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Just getting into smoking and enjoying it. So far everyone has been very helpful on my few posts. I know it sounds dumb but here goes:

How do you "pull" beef or pork? I've eaten shredded beef and pulled pork sandwiches before and they are great but how do you pull it. Do you use somekind of meat shredder or grinder or is it done by hand. Hey, don't laugh. I enjoy smokin but know nothin' bout cookin'. Thanks.

Mike S.

Basically you are "pulling" it apart. After a low and slow smoke, the meat is usually falling apart tender and two forks do a fine job of pulling it apart.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I take the meat up to 200F. If you foil or not during cooking is a personal preference. (I foil at 165F) Meat should be foiled if you have not already done so, wrapped in a couple old towels, and put in an insulated cooler for at least an hour. I then unwrap, un-foil, and break the meat apart by hand. Let it sit for a few minutes to cool, and pull the meat apart with my hands. I find that I can remove any extra fat and connective tissue by feel. It's sometimes a bit hot.

Hope this helps!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Mike,

You can pull/shred it by using 2 hands, or 1 hand and 1 fork, or bear claws (a simple plastic gadget) or what ever else you think will work better. Get your self some decent gloves to keep the heat off your hands. The butt should pull nicely if cooked long enough to breakdown the fat tissue. The number one rule is try not to eat all of it as your pulling it! Good Luck

Definately don't overcook the meat though. I had a heck of a time with my first pull because it was just a wee bit too done on the outside. Had more of a chunked pork instead of a pulled pork.

ANyway that works for you works well! I sometimes use forks and sometime hands. It depends on how fatty it is I scrap the fat off with a butter knive so sometimes hands are easier. Those little laytex glove work good for this.

i wear a pair of nitrile gloves and pull by hand. that way i can get rid of all the fat, which i can not eat.

I have used bear claws and they're a pain. I do it by hand and the larger chunks, I cheat and take the back of a chef's knife and fork and use those two in combination..Works for me..

Equipment:
One pair latex gloves
Two forks
Two martinis

Procedure:
Install the pair of latex gloves, one on each hand.
Apply one martini to the cook.
Place the fwo torks, handle first, one in each hands.
Apply another martooni at the coook...
Shred meeet with froks, perfeberly in a pann./.
Now you'd have tee martoonis, take nappp...

PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif

So one must assume that the cook is applying the second martini with the assistance of a straw as both hands appear to be occupied at this instance?

I usually pull the pork by hand, but when I have a lot of butts to pull I brake the pork butts into chunks removing the fat as I do so. I then toss 2-3 chunks of pork into the mixing bowl of my KitchenAid mixer in which I have attached the dough hook or paddle. Set it on a low speed (2 or 3) and let the hook do the work. When the pork is pulled, dump it from the bowl, add more chunks and do it again.

I'll see if I can't find the original post and put up the link for you.
Here is the link:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...read.php?t=429

This will be the method I use this weekend as I'll have 40 pound of pork butt to pull for a family party.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky