Guanciale Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Coach JoeQB

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 21, 2023
Yesterday, I made a pasta dish with guanciale from Italy. It was unbelievable! Of course now I want to make my own. Is the process the same as pancetta, only with jowl? I have made pancetta and it was fairly good, but the guanciale I had yesterday was great. I will check my local butchers for jowls.

Joe

Reactions: LoydB
Yes, same process. Do an equilibrium cure (including #2), then rinse & hang. I'd recommend wrapping in a collagen sheet before you hang, this will slow down the drying time -- you want at least a month to let the #2 do its job.

Reactions: Coach JoeQB
Inda

Thanks, I hope I can get at 1 jowl. The stuff I used yesterday was sublime.

I have made pancetta before, but guanciale seemed creamer with a better texture.

It's funny, here in the South jowl bacon is fairly available. I have used it many times, and quite like it. The Guanciale is different and it's more than just the smoke. I am assuming it's the drying process.

I just read somewhere to try a Latino meat market, I should have a good chance of getting fresh jowls.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky