1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Growing Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Tomatoes' started by dwdunlap, Jan 17, 2019.

1. dwdunlap

dwdunlap Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Growing your own tomatoes.jpg

jaxrmrjmr likes this.
  2. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Pssh....People BEG me to sell jars of salsa to them for $5/jar!! I had 87 jars of salsa last summer. Plus, there isn't a store bought tomato on the planet that can come close to the taste of home grown.....

3. Preacher Man

Preacher Man Smoking Fanatic

^ That.

I don't even buy that tasteless hydroponic junk in the cold months.

4. pineywoods

pineywoods SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member OTBS Admin SMF Premier Member

Actually they could grow any variety that you grow in the ground they just choose to grow different ones. Most of them look for high producing varieties that are also resistant to many diseases and fungus and they will trade taste for those things

5. Amen...it’s about this time of year I start getting a real hankering for homegrown tomatoes.

6. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I'll be putting seeds in pots come Feb. 1st... We plant march 21st here.....

7. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I feed what little I grow Composted Manure. So it tastes great.
    I started "gardening" again when our Grand Daughter who is 21 now, was 4 or 5.
    She got the first strawberry. She was enjoying it and said, "This is the Best strawberry I ever ate!"
    I told her, "That's because it was raised with manure."
    She froze. Staring at the berry she asked, "So I'm eating manure?
    "No honey, Manure is food to the plant. And the plant converts it's food to sugar in the berry as it grows. So you feed the plants well, they'll feed you well."
    She went back to enjoying her first Grandpa Grown Strawberry. I grow some berries and small tomatoes every year, just so the kids can taste some real food from the back yard.
    It's a little project we do each year, in very limited space, and hanging baskets. My idea is to help them accomplish growing. And it's fun.
    Probably costs more in water than it's worth, but those excited eyes and smiles are priceless.

8. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

I can always tell the difference between homegrown vs store bought. One has flavour, the other is..a tasteless blob.

Makes me sad, I'm almost out of my salsa now I did in the smoker!

9. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

There's nothing better than the EXPLOSION of flavor from home grown maters....

10. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Homegrown are better but store bought get better ever year it seems. We are huge fans of the "on the vine" type and they will give early cultivars a run for the money but homegrown beefsteak will win every time. I had a buddy that swore that urine was the best for them. What's funny EVERYONE here who makes homemade salsa with homegrown makes it sweet with corn and black beans, kinda like chow chow. BLEH. I have a killer salsa recipe and prefer crushed canned for it but would use fresh for pico.

We have like 4-5 farmers a few miles away that sell fresh stuff pretty cheap so growing anything is more of labor of love or hobby. I would like to plant some wild berry bushes in for jelly someday. Our absolute favorite use for a summer beefsteak tomato is BLT. Our secret is that we salt and pepper the tomato a little. Side is always grilled local sweetcorn. That meal is once per week for us in the summer.

11. jaxrmrjmr

jaxrmrjmr Smoking Fanatic

I have grown them in the ground and grown them hydroponically - I can't tell a difference in taste as long as it's the same variety. Each variety tastes different. My favorites are Pink Brandywine and Cherokee Purple.

12. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Awe man you all just got wanting to plant something and its still 2 months to spring ( and below freezing here). Will be starting some seeds in pots soon though.

Warren

13. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Starting some Pot Seeds...?
    Oh...Wait. You said Seeds in pots....
    Nevermind... :emoji_laughing: