• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Growing Cherry Tomatoes

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
Very Low on the Glycemic Index are cherry tomatoes, and are a great snack food. Instead of buying them, I'd like to grow them. In large planters from established plants, starting with two to begin with. Any tips?

Sowsage

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 18, 2017
We like the super 100s .They are big producers. If there are only a couple people eating off of the plants two plants will keep you with plenty of tomatoes. Keep the fruit on the plant until they pop of with just a slight twist just right before they fall off on there own. They are so sweet its almost like candy!

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
I agree with Sowsage, Sweet 100's are the best. Look into 5-7 gallon fabric pots, I did some peppers and basil in them for the first time this year and the plants seem to love it. I'll be doing tomatoes in them next year for sure.

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
My favorite after growing a host of the hybrids and heirloom is Sungolds. They are a orange cherry with very full tomato flavor. The plants are indestructible and very prolific producers. It’s the only one we grow now.

Last edited:

Braz

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 25, 2017
We grow Sun Sugar every year. They are like little candy pops.
Last summer the wife bought four of these planters. One will easily handle two tomato plants.
amazon" style="max-width:120px">

mosparky

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 11, 2015
I think I've always done Sweet 100's inn the past. What ever the store had out front. They were really good, especially the one from plants the dog "watered".

However, last year my son-in-law did some Juliet (a Burpee brand) cherry tomatoes. They were excellent and very big for a cherry tomato. We're talking 2 bite tomatoes here.
I think I will give them a shot next year.

Jabiru

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 5, 2019
One thing I can suggest is using potash when growing tomatoes. I find that makes them great tomatoes and gives a higher yield, when I start seeing flowers I start feeding them potash and reduce nitrogen fertiliser.

For good yield and fruit quality, tomatoes need an ample supply of potassium (potash) which can be supplied with fertilizer, wood ashes and organic matter

https://www.actahort.org/books/944/944_5.htm

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.