Ground Venison Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Allan28

Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
New to smoking as I just got a 40in MES, and love jerky but never made it and have some questions?
I'm going to start off with ground venison, I'll marinate and make from a Jerky shooter.

Question pertaining to this
1. What is the average temp and smoke time for ground jerky, as I don't want to over do it, where it's brittle.
2. Do you need to put water in the smoker pan when making this type of jerky?
3. Should you rotate your trays during the process for more even results?
4. How much does outside temps effect the cook times? Mine has a max temp of 275, Thanks

First and foremost, make sure that you use a recipe that includes cure in it. There are many good kits put there for ground jerky to get you off on the right foot.

1. You want to keep your smoker temp lower than 180°f. Any higher any you will run the risk of fat-out (rendering the fat out of the meat).

2. No water. Yu are trying to dry out the meat so water in the smoker hinders that.

3. You can and may need to just depends on how even the temp is in your smoker.

4. Max smoker temp 180°. Texture is a personal preference. Depending on how wet your mix is, how thick it is will depend on the time. you could be done in 2-4 hours or 8-12 hours. So plan for more time.

Take good notes of temps and times and that will help you out down the road.

I'll be making a batch this this weekend (which can be used for ground meat also):

Reactions: smokerjim
Thanks for the reply, and yes I will be using cure.
Also before your reply I found some helpful tips on making ground jerky on Jerkyholic too. Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky