Ground Bison - Not quite beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
Pretty much any Walmart I have been to in So Cal and seasonally in Costco they carry ground Bison. It's more expensive than ground beef but on par with grass fed. It is so much better tasting I like to make it often.

Walmart version.

bison_walmart.jpg

I prefer to add chopped onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder and Panko. 1 Lb make 4 burgers.

I have cooked it on my Santa Maria pit but I prefer it on the pellet smoker with Hickory pellets.

1 hour 15 minutes at 250* is about right. It gets a nice red-brown crust when done with only one flip.

A few examples.

bison_burgers_and_salmon.jpg

smoking_05_11_19_001.jpg

bison_burgers_03_15_19_02.jpg

They also make great meatballs for spaghetti.

They look great. Was home alone many years ago and ordered a batch of buffalo off QVC or such, it came with 2 big ribeyes a roast several lbs of ground, jerky ect , I cant tell you it didn't taste like a great piece of beef because it did, will buy more when I find it at stores at a decent price. I like running the pellet smoker for burgers and such, no flareups and some smoke works wonders

To be honest, it's not mine, my buddy shot it with his bow up in Alberta. I just benefited greatly from it. That was one of the two freezers full of the meat. The stuff is amazing if I could afford the price of the hunt I'd go get one and split it with friends and family. But I really don't need that much meat and I know he can't eat it all himself.:emoji_blush:
The top is pacific halibut and king salmon, I got the fishing covered and he's got us covered with wild meat.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
OK I couldn't take it anymore. I ordered 5 Lb of bison rib eyes and 5 Lb of Elk medallions online.
My two favorite meats, I could eat Tatanka and Wapiti for the rest of my life and never miss one thing about beef.
Damn, those taco's look great, we eat Mexican food at least once a week in our house. I could eat it four nights a week and still love it but the little princess can only take of much of it.

Elk and Bison pretty much only get seasoned with S&P around here. If I try to get to fancy with it My wife says you might as well cook beef. And I kinda agree with her, but I will use taco seasoning when I make tacos with the grind.

Damn, those taco's look great, we eat Mexican food at least once a week in our house. I could eat it four nights a week and still love it but the little princess can only take of much of it.

I'm right with you there. Growing up in So Cal it's something I am accustomed to. My wife is more rice and noodles. I usually eat what I want and the same with her but we do team up and make great meals together. Tonight's meal for my dads 71st B day.

june_22_table.jpg

Reactions: Steve H
Elk and Bison pretty much only get seasoned with S&P around here. If I try to get to fancy with it My wife says you might as well cook beef. And I kinda agree with her, but I will use taco seasoning when I make tacos with the grind.

The Bison was lightly seasoned. the elk I did a beer batter marinade I saw on YouTube because I was afraid it would be to gamey for the family. It was slightly salty but it was a toss up over which one tasted better. The next cook I won't do that.

I have had wild boar that I have hunted and it was too gamey for my taste.

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky