Ground and formed bacon... my attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

It's been in the smoker for 2 hours and it ain't dry enough, on the surface yet to add smoke....   I think I screwed up leaving the meat in the refer overnight...   It was covered with waxed paper...  should have left it uncovered so it would have dried out a bit..   Next time...  if I remember...

Here it is drying in the smoker....  been trying to get the temp stabilized at 130...  been running about 110-115..   It will take a bit longer before the hickory pellets give up their love on the slab...

Well, at 5 PM the smoke ran out...   smoked at 130 ish....  Now the smoker is up to 140 ish to start the cook...    Probably5-6 more hours before a final IT of 138-140 is reached...

About 5 hours of hickory...  140 ish IT for1 hour...  It's in the refer on a wire rack to "mellow"....

Right now, I'm not "thrilled" with the size of the slab...  Next time I'm thinking of using bread pans and making smaller slabs...  Primarily because of the "uneven" heating in the MES 30...  Even after all the crap I've done to try and eliminate it....  Then I can easily move the small slabs around...

First taste test...   about 12 hours in the refer....  pretty good...  I find the crispy edges are the best..   I will cook this stuff longer, in the oven, to get it crisped up.....  Well, I think I'm hooked....  Takes 1 day as compared to 30 days for great belly bacon....  About 1/2 the price...   and with some experimenting, I CAN change the flavor profile.....

Thanks to everyone that started this G&FB stuff..  WELL WORTH IT !!!

Dave
Hi Dave, great info!

I'm looking to do my first GFB this upcoming weekend.  I am going to use and follow the instructions from the LEM's Venison Bacon seasoning I purchased to make 10-12 pounds.

I noticed their instructions were very minimal when it came to cooking/smoking so I figured I would pick your brain on some info from your post in hopes to streamline my attempt.

From the info in your post I think this is what happened for you.  I plan to do much of the same so please correct me if I've got it wrong:
  1. Dry meat in smoker (MES) for approx 2hrs as the Smoker temp (not IT) gets consistently to 130 degrees (No Smoke applied)
  2. When Smoker temp gets to 130 degrees apply smoke and increase Smoker temp to raise meat IT to 140 degrees  (Approximately 5 hrs of smoked applied to hit IT 140)
  3. When meat IT of 140 was hit you cooked for 1 hour for what I believe was pasteurization purposes  (no smoke during this 1 hr)
  4. Refrigerate 12 hrs then try (I'm assuming you sliced at this point)
So here are a few of my questions if you would be so kind to answer:
  1. What temp did you put your MES at to get to 140 degrees IT?  
    LEM's instructions kind of mention going to 200 degrees and cooking until 165 degrees but I'm curious at what you did with your MES

2. Would you consider applying your hickory smoke for longer/lesser amounts of time?  
    Please give any input you have on the amount of smoke you applied and any recommendations for next time

3. I'm doing 80% lean ground Venison and 20% Ground pork for my GFB per LEM's instructions.  Would you feel a different wood smoke like Pecan or a Hickory/Pecan blend being a better choice if I end up smoking for 5hrs to hit my IT?
I've searched quite a bit of posts concerning GFB and your's has been one of the most detailed out there on the internet so I'm hoping your input rounds out any gaps I have in my mind.  Thanks for any info/input you provide :)

Last edited:
 So here are a few of my questions if you would be so kind to answer:
  1. What temp did you put your MES at to get to 140 degrees IT?   160 ish....  Takes a looooooong time for the meat to get to 140 ish...
    LEM's instructions kind of mention going to 200 degrees and cooking until 165 degrees but I'm curious at what you did with your MES

2. Would you consider applying your hickory smoke for longer/lesser amounts of time?  I've smoked a bit of bacon..   I don't care for more than 2 rows of hickory pellets..  the smoke flavor is too strong and overpowers the senses..  the bacon flavor starts to disappear...
    Please give any input you have on the amount of smoke you applied and any recommendations for next time  The smoke was what I expected and pretty good for me..  I could taste the bacon...  the house didn't fill up with the smell of smoke when I cooked it...

3. I'm doing 80% lean ground Venison and 20% Ground pork for my GFB per LEM's instructions.  Would you feel a different wood smoke like Pecan or a Hickory/Pecan blend being a better choice if I end up smoking for 5hrs to hit my IT? Some folks use fruit woods...  I have settled on hickory ONLY because I want 1950's flavor bacon to eat..  All smoke woods are good if you like them...  it's personal preference..  personal taste..  it's Artisan Bacon you are making...   go for anything....   About the meat to fat ratio LEM has suggested...  I have made belly bacon from a skinny pig...  Fat has flavor..   Fat makes bacon, bacon...  If you make skinny bacon it will lose a lot of bacon flavor...  That's why I shot for 50% fat +/-....   lean bacon sucks...
I've searched quite a bit of posts concerning GFB and your's has been one of the most detailed out there on the internet so I'm hoping your input rounds out any gaps I have in my mind.  Thanks for any info/input you provide :)

Thanks for the input Dave.  The information is priceless!

Never having done GFB I think I'll do half a batch with the LEM meat ratio and then the other half with 50% ground pork.

I'm pretty sure you are right that more fat would make better bacon.

I'm also going to follow your lead on using smaller loafs.  They should be easier to manage and may likely cut down my overall cook time.

I'll be sure to post back with info and QView from my attempt. I'm really eyeballing this weekend for the cook.  Thanks!

icon14.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky