Groom's Cake with Carolina Reaper Flakes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cassiescreativecakes

Original poster
Nov 6, 2021
I have been requested to make a groom's cake for a Carolina Reaper farmer. I would like to incorporate some pepper flakes provided by the mother of the groom into a special cake just for him. She warned me that they are incredibly potent and I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience baking with pepper flakes and the amount suggested. Thank you in advance!

I haven't used any for baking , but I use it in sausage and curing whole muscle meats . I have a hunk of dried reaper beef in the fridge right now .
If you haven't used it be careful . It's extremely hot and doesn't take much to ruin your day if you get it on you .

Maybe use it in the icing so you can adjust the amount ?

Reactions: 912smoker and dr k
I have a dedicated grinder I use outside with my back to the wind to turn dried super hot peppers into powder to more easily dose with spice measuring spoons. I use a level Dash 1/8 tsp of Carolina Reaper for an entire frozen pizza. A Pinch 1/16 can be used and 1/32 Smidgen for individual slices. Bake a couple of pizzas and have some testers.

I haven't used any for baking , but I use it in sausage and curing whole muscle meats . I have a hunk of dried reaper beef in the fridge right now .
If you haven't used it be careful . It's extremely hot and doesn't take much to ruin your day if you get it on you .

Maybe use it in the icing so you can adjust the amount ?
I hadn't thought about using it in the icing but I like that idea. I was worried that the heating process during baking may intensify the heat from the pepper too much so icing may be the way to go. I assume I need to wear gloves while handling??

I have a dedicated grinder I use outside with my back to the wind to turn dried super hot peppers into powder to more easily dose with spice measuring spoons. I use a level Dash 1/8 tsp of Carolina Reaper for an entire frozen pizza. A Pinch 1/16 can be used and 1/32 Smidgen for individual slices. Bake a couple of pizzas and have some testers.
Do you add the powdered pepper into the crust before baking or sprinkle on "frozen" pizza?

. A Pinch 1/16 can be used
I have just what you need .
20211107_073212.jpg
First time I added it to the cure in dried beef , I think I used a 1/4 tsp . I forgot about it , and when I took it off the smoker I got a whiff and it took my breath away . Lol . It was good though . I went a bit heavier this time . We'll see in a couple days . Almost ready .

Man Reaper is so hot lol. I think the frosting idea is a good one as you can titrate the amount easily. Start with just an 1/8 t in chocolate frosting and work from there. The hard thing is to assess someone else’s pleasure threshold on hot pepper. Maybe make something that would involve a side bottle of a hot glaze or syrup that is drizzled on when eating. Then the person can go light or heavy.

First time I added it to the cure in dried beef , I think I used a 1/4 tsp . I forgot about it , and when I took it off the smoker I got a whiff and it took my breath away . Lol . It was good though . I went a bit heavier this time . We'll see in a couple days . Almost ready .
🤣🤣🤣Like a Tear Gas canister! I remember when a friend did a dry rub with it and seared the steak on a CI inside. He couldn’t talk and the windows had to stay open for a while!

Welcome to the Forum from South Carolina's Thoroughbred Country. You posed a very interesting question.
Dr K and others have given you a great go by on using the Reaper. I've used the reaper only one time...still have 98% of the dried pepper in a jar! LOL!!
SAFETY FIRST - WEAR GLOVES AND DON"T TOUCH ANYTHING THAT YOU DON"T WANT TO DAMAGE!!!!!!! Make sure you have good ventilation if you are going to grind/powder the Reaper and don't taste or sniff it when you open the grinder.
In addition to the quantity, I would include a dairy protein in the icing (i.e. cream cheese, cream, etc.). This should "help" tame the burn since milk helps with the mouth burn. When you make the cake, load up some pictures and how you handled the Reaper.🍻
John

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I want to clarify that the cake I will make with the Reaper flakes will be special just for the groom and anyone brave enough to try it, so I do want some heat! I will be making a larger cake for the guests without.

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Question is...Can YOU handle Reaper Heat. You will either have to taste samples with differing amounts of Reaper.🔥🤯 Or take a Shot in the Dark and add X amount. Let's say 0.34g (1/8tsp) to 0.68g (1/4tsp) in 500g of Icing. Good Luck and Thoroughly Wash Your Hands, even if you wear gloves. Found out the hard way that some gloves have microscopic holes...JJ

Reactions: Wurstmeister
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky