Grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi All, I want to get into sausage making and I was wondering how hard it is to use the # 10 clamp on LEM hand grinders?  I want something good, but only have around a 125 for this.  I saw one electric at northern tool also http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267.

I use a hand grinder quite often, not a big deal unless you're considering large batches.
The LEM top-of-the-line grinders are great, but I'd avoid their hand grinders, we ordered one for camp and there were problems with it, it got sent back.
I would go with SausageMaker's stainless steel hand grinders.
I prefer bolt down hand grinders to the clamp on models.
I have an incredible dislike for cheap electric grinders, most all have an aluminum barrel without proper bushings so the aluminum rubs off into the meat...not good!!!

HTH

~Martin

Last edited:
I started out with the clamp on # 10 hand grinder and it has served me well over the years but now I rarely use it anymore. I would recommend going with the northern tool grinder. Members here have given it great reviews and it will save some of the arm stress.... I have used several of  these electric grinders like the northern tool brand and haven't had any problems.....

Good luck

Joe

Last edited:
Rd, morning.... I bought that particular grinder about a year ago.... I grind about 150# a year.... beef, pork etc....  I grind my breakfast sausage and beef burger to insure a quality product....   It is noisy but has served me well....    I lube the barrel and screw before and after each use... The reverse feature is worth it for removing the grinding plates and cleaning out the silver skin that clogs the plates... (when you miss pieces of silver skin while prepping the meat) 

I would have preferred a stainless commercial grinder but the price was a little out of my range...  I'm hoping the grinder will outlast me... You never know....  

I definitely beats a hand grinder if you are grinding 10 + #'s of meat at a time....    I still use the Kitchen Aid grinder if I'm grinding 5#'s or less...  I haven't used the hand grinder in maybe 25 years.....  

Dave

I am still using my KA grinder as it is just Mrs Scar and me so we don't make large batches but I have been looking at the Northern one for a while now. 

I've had a Northern Tool #12 Electric for over 3 years now. They've changed the name to Kitchener, but it looks the same.

It's a great little grinder. It will work one person to death, if you let it.

I couldn't tell you how many pounds of deer and pork butt has gone through it and it still works as good as when it was new.

I didn't like it for a stuffer though or a 2nd grind.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky