Grinder plate sizes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kuroki

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 27, 2022
Saskatchewan Canada
I just had a thought come to mind while awaiting the delivery of my new (to me at least) meat grinder.
Is it worth having every available size of plate?
If not which sizes are worth having?
Obviously it will depend on what exactly you are making, but assuming someone planned to make a bit of everything are there any sizes that are redundant? I'm thinking for example if it's worth having both a 3/4" plate and a kidney plate, or both a 3/8" plate and a 1/2" plate. I assume 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, and 3/8" are all necessary as the difference would be much more noticeable in the smaller sizes.
Between the plates and a knife for each one it adds up pretty fast buying every size.

I've got sizes I think I might need. I don't use a separate knife for each plate although the manufacturer suggests that.

The most common plate is 10mm or 3/8". It is coarse grind. A lot of folks like this for vrats, Italian, and breakfast sausage. You need that one.

Next most useful IMO is a 4.5mm or 3/16". That is a finer grind, and I like it for sausages... 3/8 is too coarse or chunky for me.

For emulsified stuff like hotdogs, baloney, you can approximate it with a 3mm plate and do a couple grinds.

I have a 6mm and 8mm plate too, just to let me get exactly the texture I like on brats and breakfast sausage.

You don't need anything larger than 10mm or 3/8ths. Pretty much only Andouille of common sausages uses larger. You can easily hand cut 1/2" and larger chunks.

How many you need depends on your preference in grind size most of the time. With the exception of a few, like emulsified, you can make most any sausage with a coarser or finer grind.

Next most useful IMO is a 4.5mm or 3/16". That is a finer grind, and I like it for sausages... 3/8 is too coarse or chunky for me.
I use that plate more than any of the others. For brats and Italian I use an 8mm since it's the biggest I currently have, but I run most everything else through the 4.5.

6mm seems to be what I gravite towards. I think that's what the "coarse" on the kitchenaid attachment was when I started so when I got a dedicated grinder, that's what I was used to. Do ya'll think a knife for each plate is necessary?

Reactions: Dave in AZ
DougE DougE And Dustin Dorsey Dustin Dorsey we seem to like the same. I use 8 or 6mm for brats and breakfast, 4.5 for most everything else. I don't like the chunkiness of 10mm, though it seems to be called for in a ton of recipes. Maybe just because folks get that with grinder usually?

I actually use 3mm to grind fat a lot, I like that size particle, and mix fat in separately to keep good definition.

Dustin, the plates and knives should all be flat after sharpening, so it shouldnt actually matter... but WTH, I bought a knife for each anyways and just keep them paired with a bread tie.

But best investment is some 800 or 1000grit wet sandpaper and a small piece of glass. I just zap some contact cement on it, stick on glass, get it wet, then slap plates and knives flat on it to sharpen. Super fast and easy, just like using a knife steel.

Reactions: Dustin Dorsey
6mm seems to be what I gravite towards. I think that's what the "coarse" on the kitchenaid attachment was when I started so when I got a dedicated grinder, that's what I was used to. Do ya'll think a knife for each plate is necessary?
Really all depends on what you are making. I use all the plates because I like playing with the texture of sausage. I’ll use the kidney plate to grind my lean meat then switch to 1/8 plate for my fatier meat with connective tissue for better bind in the mix On one sausage run. Then may switch to a 3/16 or 1/4 for the next grind. They are all useful. And I do have one head with dedicated plates and knives, but I also bought the dual grind head from LEM and I do not change knives and so far it grinds very premium grinds. High quality plates, all Salvinox stainless plates.

I like playing with size and have a bunch of plates but no need for a knife per IMO. I think you can find cost effective plate assortments as most grinder sizes are common. I think I paid like $20 for a set of 5 plates and 2 knives.

Well thanks to everyone for all the input so far.
I was already looking at having everything from 1/8-1/4". I want a 1/2" plate for a coarser chili grind. And I was going to get a 3/4" plate to hopefully be able to both make the coarser meat for Andouille and some of the polish sausages I like, and use it for a coarse pre grind. Not having a mixer and having bad wrists I was planning on doing a coarse pre grind, mix the spices in, and grind at final plate size to try and keep mixing to a minimum.
I guess I'll start there with a blade for each plate size, and see how that goes. Could always add a 5/16, 3/8, and kidney plate later if it seems like I would need it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky