Grilled Greek Lamb Pockets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks and yes,
wonderful sammies, really delicious, I love lamb and don't get it often enough.
That tzatziki recipe was one I found, it's good, but could stand some tweaks.
I think it needs more garlic, and while I like the sour cream maybe it should be a 1:1 sour cream to yogurt ratio

I checked my tzatziki file and in addition to my "Go To" recipe there's another half dozen tzatziki recipes, all of which I would consider authentically Greek, and none called for sour cream or lemon juice. Not surprisingly, all recipes called for the same ingredients: Full fat Greek yogurt (strained), seedless cucumber (grated), garlic, white wine vinegar, EVOO, dill or mint, S&P. The only difference in the recipes was the volumes of each ingredient used. Also, I assume that the lemon juice might be considered a substitute for the vinegar.

Sounds like the recipe you found was someones Americanized version of the dish. Not bad, but not the real thing.

I agree with you on the 1:1 sour cream to yogurt recipe. A ratio of 2:1 sounds like overkill to me.

I checked my tzatziki file and in addition to my "Go To" recipe there's another half dozen tzatziki recipes, all of which I would consider authentically Greek, and none called for sour cream or lemon juice. Not surprisingly, all recipes called for the same ingredients: Full fat Greek yogurt (strained), seedless cucumber (grated), garlic, white wine vinegar, EVOO, dill or mint, S&P. The only difference in the recipes was the volumes of each ingredient used. Also, I assume that the lemon juice might be considered a substitute for the vinegar.

Sounds like the recipe you found was someones Americanized version of the dish. Not bad, but not the real thing.

I agree with you on the 1:1 sour cream to yogurt recipe. A ratio of 2:1 sounds like overkill to me.
Yeah, I knew it was a bastardized version, but it suited what I had on hand.
Heck, I corrupted it even more by adding in some crushed red pepper today.

Wanna share your 'Go To' tzatziki recipe?

Yeah, I knew it was a bastardized version, but it suited what I had on hand.
Heck, I corrupted it even more by adding in some crushed red pepper today.

Wanna share your 'Go To' tzatziki recipe?

Glad to share. The ingredients that I use are really no different than the ingredients in any other traditional tzatziki recipe. It's just the ratios (which can be easily scaled) and process that I've developed over time, and prefer. See below,

Authentic Greek Tzatziki

Ingredients
  • 1 large English seedless cucumber, or 2 smaller cucumbers, unpeeled
  • 1-2 teaspoons Kosher salt
  • 1½ cups plain full-fat Greek yogurt, strained (see notes)
  • 2-3 large garlic cloves, very finely minced (see notes)
  • 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Minced fresh dill (or mint), to taste
Instructions
  1. Grate the cucumber on the medium blades of a box grater.
  2. Line a fine mesh strainer with cheesecloth, place strainer over a bowl, and add grated cucumber. Sprinkle with salt, stir to combine, and refrigerate overnight to drain.
  3. Combine the yogurt, garlic, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
  4. Remove the grated cucumber from the strainer, squeeze to remove any residual water, and transfer the cucumber and fresh dill (or mint) to the yogurt mixture and stir to combine. Chill 3-4 hours, if not longer, taste and adjust with vinegar, salt, or pepper, if needed, and serve chilled with pita bread for dipping.
Notes:

· All full fat Greek yogurts are assumed to be “strained” however, some are more/less strained than others. I recommend initially pouring the yogurt into a cheesecloth lined fine mesh strainer over a bowl to remove any excess free flowing liquid, then proceed.

· I much prefer Greek yogurt made from goat’s milk as it is thicker and has a much richer taste than yogurt made with cow’s milk. That said, I have very easy access to goat’s milk yogurt, and others may not. If you can find goat’s milk yogurt, go for it. If not, proceed with cow’s milk yogurt.

· To remove the taste of raw garlic that some may find off putting, “confit” the garlic for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: zippy12
Interesting process, I wouldn't have initially considered using uncooked meat but looks like it was a great result! I'm sure that kept it from drying out. Very cool!

Chile

Glad I could inspire! Been away at the father in laws wife funeral so I was not able to participate much in this, but it loos awesome!

Yes this stuff is better after a day or 2 in the fridge then cook.

Chile

Glad I could inspire! Been away at the father in laws wife funeral so I was not able to participate much in this, but it loos awesome!

Yes this stuff is better after a day or 2 in the fridge then cook.
This is one of the great things about this forum, sharing recipes.

As it happens, right now in my gardens the dill, parsley and mint are thriving. No luck on the garlic, though.

Somehow a craving for this kind of food hit me about ten years ago. Bring me rosemary.

I visit a middle eastern store (Al Safa) and there I saw them grinding beef to order, to make koefta. They were putting bunches of parsley into the grinder along with the meat, and that was a lesson to me.

Hmm. Tomorrow is Friday, the best day of the week to shop for lamb there.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky