Greetings from SC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

get2

Original poster
Nov 1, 2010
Greenville SC
New to the forum, just got the Weber Smokey Mountain smoker and I am looking forward to learning alot quickly.  On the docket for this week will be a practice turkey for Thanksgiving.  I want to know what meat thermometers you guys suggest for a newbie?  Thanks in advance.

icon_cool.gif

First off welcome Get2 to SMF. You will like this place for there are allot of really good folks here that would do help you with anything to do with smoking. I would also recommend that you sign up for the E-course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good techniques also. So go grab your butt and get to smoking and then don't forget the pictures (Q-view) here so we can enjoy your smoke with you.

So Welcome To Your New Addiction  

thanks for the welcome, and the link.  Can I find one of those thermometers locally or should I order online?  Thanks

Welcome to SMF!!!!

The mavrick et 73 is what most folks use. Us poor boys just go to acadamey and get the

Taylors.

Welcome to SMF. Greenville is a beautiful place. I grew up in SC and a GA girl now. Can't wait to see that turkey you're gonna practice on, good luck!

Welcome to SMF - I also have a Maverick and bought mine online.

I have been looking at the Maverick online today, and the reviews are kind of troubling.  If you use this one, have you had any problems with it?

I saw that too get2. I think I looked on Amazon. I have the Polder classic. I also bought an additional probe to have for a backup. I left it out in the rain once and thought it was surely a goner, but I dried it off and used a hair dryer to dry the inside and it has been great. It doesn't have a remote, but I haven't had a real need for one. I also just use two oven thermometers in the smoker on each end. I may find down the road that I want to fancy up my current setup for convenience sake, but we'll see.

Welcome aboard neighbor!  If you want to hold out a little on the Maverick their coming out with an upgraded version in early December this year.  The troubles you read about the current ET73 I think are kind of hit or miss with folks who have them.  But for $35 for the current ET73 model I don't think it's to big of a risk.  The alarm feature and being able to monitor one unit remotely is worth it for me.  The remotely part is an issue some folks have had.  For the most part they don't like mental in the way.  I've bought two (one for a backup) and would buy another.  You can currently find the 73 on amazon for about $34.

Don't forget we like Qview here so charge your camera batteries up and share some of that turkey with us when you fire it up!  

Happy Smokin'

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome aboard.

I have used (and still do from time to time), a Taylor digital and and an older Maverick (I think it is the ET72).  The Taylor has been a bit unreliable in the mid range (where it counts).  Honestly, I have pretty much gone back to the trusty ol' "instant read" round dial thermometer.  I found that constant monitoring of the rise, plateau, and rise of the meat was stressing me out
PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif
.  That and the fact that the door on my BBQ pit is hard on the electrical leads led me to it.  I just don't check the temp till it is far enough into the cooking cycle to matter, then go from there.

Just my 2 cents worth.  The most important thing is to HAVE FUN~!

I'm with you rascal, I just use "the force".

Welcome aboard.

I have used (and still do from time to time), a Taylor digital and and an older Maverick (I think it is the ET72).  The Taylor has been a bit unreliable in the mid range (where it counts).  Honestly, I have pretty much gone back to the trusty ol' "instant read" round dial thermometer.  I found that constant monitoring of the rise, plateau, and rise of the meat was stressing me out
PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif
.  That and the fact that the door on my BBQ pit is hard on the electrical leads led me to it.  I just don't check the temp till it is far enough into the cooking cycle to matter, then go from there.

Just my 2 cents worth.  The most important thing is to HAVE FUN~!

Welcome to the SMF, I see you're getting some good replies from our friendly members. It's all good my friend.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Thanks for the help.  I got my first day of E-class last night.  It was a good, informative read.  I'm looking forward to the remaining parts of the tutorial.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky