greetings from JJBOYYY......(Jim)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjboyyy

Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Thank you for allowing me to join your site. Iam 61 yrs young. I live in Cape Breton ,Nova Scotia.

I built my first smoker approx 20 yrs ago.I have not smoked in the last couple of years.  I smoke mostly fish.

Hoping to learn from you ppl.    
icon_wink.gif
   Thanks  JIM.

I am wondering about using birch bark for smoke. I don't mind if there is no distinct "Birch" flavour,.......... I just dont want to ruin a good batch of Makrel with a smelly burnt wood taste.

Any help ?

Jim,

Welcome to SMF!

I don't smoke fish And can't get birch down here in south louisiana but i'm sure some of my northern brothers and sisters can help you out. Stick around and someone will be here shortly to help.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

First off welcome Jim to SMF. You'll like it here for there are allot of really good folks here that would just love to help you out with just about anything including recipes for some of the best smoked eats that you will ever put into yours or your friends mouths. Now go smoke something the if you have any questions just post them here and we will answer them for you. So when you get your smoke going start with the Qview (photos here) andshare your wares with us to. After all we are addictted to it and smoking things.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

I don't think I would use birch bark or birch at all. The bark has an oil in it that even wet will burn. This is why when starting a fire in wet conditions birch bark will always start. I have never tried birch but I have a tendency to not use any bark on  my smoking woods. Now apple wood is my favorite as of now and I'm lucky enough to have a endless supply of it.

Welcome aboard ( A little sailing lingo ) your going to like the folks here.Bill in Monticello MN

thank you ppl for the kind welcome.

Thanks Bill, for the info on Birch. I won't take a chance on ruining a batch.

JIM

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky