Greeting from Chicago!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ixxi

Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
Well my smoker came last night.  SmokinTex 1400.

My wife's family is from Houston/Austin.  Its hard to get good Brisket

and Sausage in Chicago.  Not Texas style anyway.  So - looks like

I'll have to handle that myself.

This is my 1st smoker and I'm super excited.

My Texas BBQ favs are:  The Salt Lick, Driftwood Tx, County Line, Austin Tx, Rudy's BBQ in New Braunfels.

So thats what I' shooting for.

I'm also a home beer brewer, brewing on a 15gal Sabco Brew Magic.

I can't wait to pair up some Brisket, Charo Beans, Sausage with some homebrew.

Cheers to all of you! 

-james

[h3]
texas.gif
Hello James, and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   Just need to send out invites when it's close to ready. Good Luck
[/h3][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Sounds like a man with the plan here. Welcome. Chicago is supposed to have good pizza I think..naw actually supposed to be the best place to eat in the world..other than Hanoi. You should open up a bbq joint. I had a pal with kin who worked up there as the tail gunner on the Budweiser truck.

Hey James

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

James
welcome1.gif
Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

Okay - breaking in the smoker...  Damn the SNOW!

Is your smell-o-vision on?

Now I gotta get working on my Brisket Rub.  Taking Suggestions

from you Texas Folks.

Cheers!

-james

Last edited:
James, how are you. A couple of things, I noticed from you picture the extension cord laying there, This is from years in the construction industry and buying countless electric tools. Get you a Heavy duty extension cord no longer than you need. This will help your smoker preform the way it should and wont burn out your heating element nearly as fast. Most people really don't know that using a light gage, long cord shortens the life and damages whatever it is plugged into by a drop in amperage. Now in saying that I am sure the smoker manufacture has recommendations, as long as you stay within those you should be alright. 

On to the Brisket,  depends on what you like, you said Texas style so here goes.  I buy a full packer brisket usually Choice. I trim the fat cap down to about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch keeping it as uniform as I can. Once done I rub with olive oil, canola oil the sprinkle a mixture of course ground black pepper and salt evenly all over the brisket. (I go pretty heavy because that's the way we like it) then on the smoker. I have a stick burner / charcoal so a little different than an electric. I smoke for about 5 to 6  hours at 225º then pull it off wrap in butcher paper and return to the smoker till done usually another 6 hours or so. Now it you like spicy or sweet add whatever you like as your rub. I find the salt and pepper give the flavor I am looking for, a good bark, good smoke ring moist and tender. I like to taste the meat flavor, which I think the salt and pepper are the right complement. I usually smoke over hickory, pecan, or oak. with some lump charcoal. After it comes off the smoker I'll wrap it in a couple of old towels and let it rest for a while an hour or so. All kinds of recipes, methods and styles out there. Again depends on your taste.

Gary

Thanks Gary - I'm anxious to get started.  I have my Brisket and need to get my rub together

and see if I can get it on before the next big snow fall.

Rubbed... Now sleeping in the fridge overnight.

Rub:

2 parts Kosher Salt

2 parts Black Pepper

2 parts Dry Mustard

2 parts Cayenne

1/4 part Garlic Powder

Applied to Yellow Mustard coated Brisket (USDA Choice).  7.6lbs

16 Degrees out and we started with a little snow.  But I'm racked and stacked!

Ribs & Brisket

Keep us posted    looking good

Gary

I thought I would post this so everyone would have something to go on.

What Size Extension Cord Do I Need?

Ever use a power tool pulled into an extension cord on a project and it not work right. To test it, you plug the power tool directly into the wall outlet and it works fine. What’s this? Another bad extension cord? Maybe, maybe not! You could just be using the wrong extension cord.

Extension cords are measured by their length in feet and the size of wire used in their construction measured in units referred to as the wire’s gauge (the larger the number the smaller the wire). Both of these numbers work together to determine how much power (measured in amperes, amps or amperage and most commonly represented by the letter “A”) can be safely provided to the equipment pulled into the extension cord. The longer the extension cord and/or the smaller the wire, the less power can flow through it. If you use an extension cord that is not rated to provide the amperage needed to properly run the equipment attached to it, the extension cord can cause equipment on the extension cord to not function properly, cause damage to the equipment, cause breakers to trip and cause a fire hazard.

Below is a table to help you determine which extension cord you need for the job. First determine how long of an extension cord you need. If you are working 20 feet from an outlet, use the shortest extension you can based on the table below. Longer extension cords just waste electricity. Next, determine how much amperage the piece of equipment you are using needs to function properly. This is usually found on a sticker or metal plate on the piece of equipment itself (if not, look in your owner’s manual). Using these two numbers (distance and amperage), you can use the table below to determine the size of the wire needed inside the extension cord to have your equipment function properly.

Extension cord length

Amperage Required

0-2 amps

2-5 amps

5-7 amps

7-10 amps

10-12 amps

12-15 amps

25 ft.

16 ga.

16 ga.

16 ga.

16 ga.

14 ga.

14 ga.

50 ft.

16 ga.

16 ga.

16 ga.

14 ga.

14 ga.

12 ga.

100 ft.

16 ga.

16 ga.

14 ga.

12 ga.

12 ga.

10 ga.

150 ft.

16 ga.

14 ga.

12 ga.

12 ga.

10 ga.

-

200 ft.

14 ga.

14 ga.

12 ga.

10 ga.

-

-
Think of it as a hose. The bigger the hose, the more water will flow. If you need a 50ft extension cord to provide a total of 6.5amps, you need to use a 16gauge or larger extension cord (a larger gauge means a smaller number, in this case, 14, 12 or 10 gauge). Extension cords are expensive, matching the right extension cord for your needs could save you quite a bit of money!

One more chart showing voltage drop in different size cords

Approximate voltage drop for various extension cord gauges, lengths, and amps 
(% drop from 120V in parentheses) 

Cord Current flowing through cord Length, 
feet 10A 15A 20A 30A 

Cord Size = #16 gauge wire 
10 1.0 V (0.8%) 
 20 2.0 V (1.7%) 
 30 2.9 V (2.4%) 
 40 3.9 V (3.3%) 
 50 4.9 V (4.1%) 
 100 9.8 V (8.2%) 

Cord Size = #14 gauge wire 
 10 0.6 V (0.5%) 0.9 V (0.8%) 
 20 1.2 V (1.0%) 1.8 V (1.5%) 
 30 1.8 V (1.5%) 2.7 V (2.3%) 
 40 2.4 V (2.0%) 3.6 V (3.0%) 
 50 3.0 V (2.5%) 4.6 V (3.8%) 
 100 6.1 V (5.1%) 9.1 V (7.6%)

Cord Size = #12 gauge wire 
 10 0.4 V (0.3%) 0.6 V (0.5%) 0.8 V (1.7%) 
 20 0.8 V (0.7%) 1.1 V (0.9%) 1.5 V (1.3%) 
 30 1.1 V (0.9%) 1.7 V (1.4%) 2.3 V (1.9%) 
 40 1.5 V (1.3%) 2.3 V (1.9%) 3.1 V (2.6%) 
 50 1.9 V (1.6%) 2.9 V (2.4%) 3.8 V (3.2%) 
 100 3.8 V (3.2%) 5.7 V (4.8%) 7.7 V (6.4%)

Cord Size = #10 gauge wire 
 10 0.2 V (0.2%) 0.4 V (0.3%) 0.5 V (0.4%) 0.7 V (0.6%) 
 20 0.5 V (0.4%) 0.7 V (0.6%) 1.0 V (0.8%) 1.4 V (1.2%) 
 30 0.7 V (0.6%) 1.1 V (0.9%) 1.4 V (1.2%) 2.2 V (1.8%) 
 40 1.0 V (0.8%) 1.4 V (1.2%) 1.9 V (1.6%) 2.9 V (2.4%) 
 50 1.2 V (1.0%) 1.8 V (1.5%) 2.4 V (2.0%) 3.6 V (3.0%) 
 100 2.4 V (2.0%) 3.6 V (3.0%) 4.8 V (4.0%) 7.2 V (6.0%) 

Note 1 Numbers are rounded to the nearest 0.1V and 0.1%. 
Note 2 Voltage drops shown are the same for any single-phase supply voltage. Voltage drop depends only on amps. 
Note 3 Values are approximate, as they are affected by factors such as temperature. 
Note 4 For a given cord size and amps, voltage drop is uniform over a length of cord, so for example, a 40 ft cord has 
twice the voltage drop as a 20 ft cord. That means the numbers in the voltage drop columns can be added 
together. For example, the voltage drop for a 70 ft cord can be found by adding together the voltage drops for a 
30 ft cord and a 40 ft cord. 

Well.... I give my 1st smoke a B-.  My Rub was WAY too spicy and really distracted from the meat.

The homemade sauce was a little on the spicy side too.  Next time I'll go 50/50 salt and pepper.  The

meat itself was a little firmer on the pull apart than I wanted.  So I paid $60 for meat for today's lesson.

Anyone have any advice on rack position in my Electric Smoker?  I was right above the firebox

with ribs and sausage on the racks above.  Does arrangement matter?  Maybe I'll also look for more

marbling in my meat next time as well..

I was smokin @ 200 degrees and I hit 196 IT after 9.5hrs.  I had a 1.5hr stall at 165.

Hey James

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

Be sure and check your thermometer to make sure it is reading correctly. I smoke at 225º a lot of the members smoke a little hotter. I usually tell beginners to go with chicken or inexpensive cuts to get the hang of their smoker and seasoning A pork shoulder takes a lot longer but is more forgiving, than a brisket. Keep on smoking and let us know about the next one.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky