Greenhorn wants to use a 55 gallon drum for the firebox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jgwellwood

Original poster
I'm on the path of using a 55 gallon drum as the firebox for my smokehouse in the traditional side configuration with a short distance (30"?) between the firebox and the smokehouse.

Any additional thoughts to this approach? Thinking the smokehouse will be a block base with wood framed structure atop the block base. Dimensions of the smokehouse structure to be based on using two traditional sheet pans (26"x18") for the width/depth of the freeboard dimension inside plus 1/2" for additional clearance. My thoughts are to use a standard sheet pan as the drip pan and all trays will mimic this size.

Rough sketch provided for viewing/commenting.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Smoke House.pdf
    50.6 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: fivetricks
Sounds good.... Think about trying to find or have made a 10-12" duct for getting heat and smoke to the smokehouse... Bigger is better.... Less friction...

Reactions: jgwellwood
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky