Green wood or wet wood ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
I bought some oak last April. When I bought it, I thought the splits felt heavy, like it was still green. I did not need it then, so I thought I could season it.

Well, its still heavy. Today, I put a couple splits to the Kindling Cracker and broke them down even smaller and did a test burn. My moisture meter said 18%, but we got an inch of rain night before last, they were still a bit wet on the outside. They do not have a good aroma and don't burn easily. And then I saw one of them foaming at the end of the split.

What the heck, this wood can't still be green ?
20210126_142117_resized.jpg

What little experience I've got with offset cooking, I have always sourced my green cooking wood with the intention of not using it for at least a year, preferably 18 months. Those with much more knowledge/experience can enlighten me, as well...

Reactions: Smokin Okie
The true test is to cut it in half and measure the interior.
If it's 18, burn it, but what the heck burn it no matter what it reads if it's all you gots...

The true test is to cut it in half and measure the interior.
If it's 18, burn it, but what the heck burn it no matter what it reads if it's all you gots...

That's where I measured, after I'd split the split . These don't want to catch fire and they don't want to burn. Acts just like green wood.

Maybe it just needs more time to season.

Yes, up against a shed

You really need to keep any rain off it for it to cure and also have it where air can circulate through it. Wet/dry, wet/dry causes it to rot as well as maintain moisture. Where I am here in the deep south, you cannot keep it against a building at all due to termites. Here's how mine is stored up off the ground in a rack. This Red Oak is now one year old and dry enough to use.
capture.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky