Green Eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cdubea

Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Northern, VA
Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie 'round these parts, but a quick spelunking around provides no reference to the "green egg" smokers. I know they are obscenely expensive, but someone has to have an opinion about them.

Just curious,

A Dr. once said, they go good with Ham.
icon_smile.gif

great cooker from what I have heard from folks who own them, fuel misers, can smoke, and high heat grill.

Just for the record they are a charcoal burner not a propane unit(this thread is in the propane smoker section).

Yea check for BGE or Big Green Egg there are several posts with people talking about them and using them however you won't find as many people having them here as you would on some of the Big Green Egg forums. Ave you check those forums out at all? I can give you some links if you don't have them.

I got both my BGE's used off Craig's List for about $300. You'll nee to outfit it with an indirect cooking kit to use it for smoking though. That will cost another $100. I'd use it for comps but the thing weighs a ton! Nonetheless, I see teams that use them every year.

They are a great smoker for home use though - specially in colder climates like Vermont. I can get 500 degrees on it when it's -30 if I needed to.

-rob

My brother has owned a BGE for a couple years now. He really loves it. The BBQ he is putting out is sub par but that is more of a lack of smoking technique and knowlege. He puts out allot of white smoke. We discussed this and he is now working on giving it more air etc.

The thing of it is, he is in awe over the flavor of food coming off my Traeger and is liking the pellet idea. I think he is going to swing towards a Treager. He also said cleaning it out was a pain in the ARS... I couldn't say as I have never cleaned one.

Leane Whippin on BBQ pitmasters was doing quite well with the BGE. It comes down to the pitmasters prefference. If you know what your doing you can make amazing Q on almost anything.

I used a buddies BGE all of last summer. I really liked it and was looking to buy one since I can hardly move my 8.5 ft smoke shack around when I want to take it other places. So after looking around for a BGE I just couldn't bring myself to spend $500-800 on a smoker so I decided to build a UDS. They smoke very similar to each other and controlling the temps are pretty much the same. If I had tons of money to blow I guess I would get an egg but I don't so I will stick with my UDS. I would go up against a BGE with my UDS any day and not worry about it. I can actually burn way longer on my UDS than I could on my buddies Large BGE. So for me it just makes sense to go with a UDS. Lighter so I can take it with me places, CHEAPER, Burns longer and stays on a constant temp just as easy. I can also get my UDS up to 500 degrees to cook steaks if I want to. I did my home work and went the UDS way for my situation its the best option. Thats just my opinion but I am very happy with my decision.

Theres alot of people here that have the BGE and sware by them. I'm a gasser and I like it.

I have a BGE and love it. It was a little pricey, but I can do anything with it. I have put all types of things on my egg if you can put it in your oven you can bake it on the BGE even a cake. It makes the best pulled pork that I have ever eaten. The BGE will never rust out and has a life time warranty . I cannot say enough good things about it.

I have a BGE and I love it. For a long time I couldn't bring myself to pay the big buck$. But when I did, I have kicked myself in the butt for not doing it sooner.

The BGE is pricey but for the money, you get a grill, smoker & oven all in one. The one thing that threw me was that you buy it new & it is white inside. Once you use it, it turns black from the burn & stays that way. That probably is neither here nor there but that turned me off. Plus the fact that you have to pay for the accessories. I mean, the stand or the table should come with with it for the money you pay. However, as long as you don't knock it over & break it, you won't ever need another grill, smoker or oven again.

Yea, I had mine one day, and the painters knocked it over and broke the bottom, the fire ring and upper ring.  Replacement was almost like buying a new one.  

Yea, I had mine one day, and the painters knocked it over and broke the bottom, the fire ring and upper ring.  Replacement was almost like buying a new one.  
Replacement cost of a fire ring for a L BGE is $105? Thats not bad at all. From what I have found all the replacement parts are reasonable for BGE's.

We have a chicken that lays green eggs - her eggs really do have green shells! The breed is called an Araucana - looks like a hen with big sideburns, and a little smaller than our RI Red hens.Have heard great things about BGE ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ except for the price.

If you like the BGE style but can't swallow the price tag also take a look at Weber Smokey Mountain smokers. Brand new they are either $299 for the 18.5" size or $399 for the 22.5" size, and I like that they have two grates vs. one in the BGE.

.... and just think with all the $$ you save you can buy MEAT!!
sausage.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky