Graduation/Going Away Pork-A-Palooza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Morning Smokers. Wanted to share a few pictures I took of a cook over the weekend. Had a small gathering for a kid we have known and kind of taken under our wing for the last several years due to certain circumstances going on with his family. Anyways he was slated to graduate this year and has enrolled in the Army. Covid kind of crapped on graduating. He ships off for basic training in about a week. His 18th birthday is at the end of July. Graduation/Going Away/Birthday Party all in one.

Time to do some prep.
ribs28.jpg

Someone else had provided the ribs, Normally I buy the precut STL's but hey not a bad price for full spares. This shows a pretty good example of how to trim into STL's.
Ribs29.jpg

6 racks trimmed up ready to go.
Ribs30.jpg

Butt seasoned up and ready to go. Let this one roll over night at 225 with char hickory pellets. Threw it in the pan I had placed underneath it to begin with at 160 and wrapped in foil.
Ribs31.jpg

Next morning. Membranes removed(done prior) and seasoned up ready for some smoke.
Ribs32.jpg

Butt done at 205 and wrapped up in the cooler. Look at all those juices. Something about letting it sit and cook in its own fat and then rub you added that just adds so much flavor to it IMO.
Ribs33.jpg

Ribs rolling nicely around 250ish. Hickory chunks.
Ribs34.jpg

Wrapped in butcher paper around the 3 hour mark. Love this stuff!
Ribs35.jpg

Took about 5 1/2 hours. I like them around the 195 range. Tender and nice clean bite through but not quite FOTB.
Ribs36.jpg

Ribs38.jpg

Ribs39.jpg

Ribs37.jpg

Had a couple spares, a little PP, some homemade pasta salad, and a side salad.
Ribs40.jpg

Everything turned out well but I think the ribs were the star of the show. The boy had a great time. Told him he better eat up and enjoy the next few days! He will be at Ft. Benning in GA for the next several months at least. Thanks for looking.

John

That was quite a feed to put on John, everything looked done to perfection, Like! Yep, I'd imagine the memory of that cook will have to last him till he comes back home for more, that was really nice of you. RAY

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
That's a mighty fine send off John. I'm sure he'll remember that day for years to come.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice job bud. Everything looks delicious. I use paper for my ribs also. Love it. Good on you for doing something nice for the young fella. Benning is hot as hell in the summer. It's where I went to basic. Tell him to enjoy Sand Hill lmao

Looks great thank him for his service , I gave 12 years and its a tough road at times

Nice cook , and great looking plate .
Nice job being a mentor for the young man , and making a difference in his life .

Wow John. Excellent cook and an amazing gesture for Timothy. No question he appreciates his "adopted" parents a bunch and he'll remember this meal for a long time. Great job all around my friend!!

Robert

Excellent cook John and more importantly, that is a great gesture for Timothy!

That’s mighty nice of you and Timothy seems like an exceptional young man.

Everything looks great John! I know he'll remember that for a long time. It's very nice of you to do this for him, and a great send off. The world needs more gestures like this, now more than ever.
I use the butcher paper on Briskets, haven't tried on ribs. Next time I'm gonna try it on ribs. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

That was quite a feed to put on John, everything looked done to perfection, Like! Yep, I'd imagine the memory of that cook will have to last him till he comes back home for more, that was really nice of you. RAY

Thanks Ray appreciate it man!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky