Grad Party

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigfurmn

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 25, 2016
Farmington, MN
I took a few days off work to help my cousin out and smoke some pork shoulder for her daughter's graduation party. I will be getting a bit of a later start than I had hoped as now I have a dentist appointment this morning, but I will be going almost nonstop until Saturday some time I am suspecting. I'll get some pictures later but should be interesting as I have to do one or two butts plain, as in no seasoning at all because of some allergies in the family. No onion or powder, no garlic, no pepper etc etc. Should make things interesting.

Last edited:
Going to give it a shot and see how things turn out. Should be fun.
I started doing it like that because I was using the meat for different dishes . PP sandwich or Tacos . Just season for what ever at the time . I found people liking the plain smoked pork just as is .
Like said above , keep us posted and enjoy .

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Chris

Later start than I would like but well... life. Started about 11am on the Pit Boss. Lumberjack hickory and Pit Boss apple pellets, couldnt find LJ apple. AAAAAAAND...We're off!
20220609_130109.jpg

I think that going to be great Furm, a big juicy smoked porkbutt can stand on it's own just fine. Now I have to go check Freezermart for some PP, feeling like a sanny and it is far too hot here to cook anything, inside or out. RAY

That's a good idea! I have always used a pan under the shoulder, not with the shoulder in the pan. Ha, ha, ha all two times I've smoked one. Anyway, does the pan restrict the smoke from attaching to the bottom of the shoulder?

I smoke mine with the fat down, does that matter?

Looks like a good start! With the ones you can’t do the rub on for food allergies can you at least do a vinegar finishing sauce? I’ve done a few and used finishing sauces I’ve got here if you want a recipe. Can’t wait to see the awesome haul!

I think that going to be great Furm, a big juicy smoked porkbutt can stand on it's own just fine. Now I have to go check Freezermart for some PP, feeling like a sanny and it is far too hot here to cook anything, inside or out. RAY
I 'd give just about anything to be where you are. We had rain day after day here, over the weekend we supposedly got as much rain as in the month prior. I was stationed at Luke in the 70's, I know it gets hot, but I could use some about now. I

Sorry about the thread abuse, i couldn't stop myself.

Keeping it in the pan seems to cook faster for me. Only reason I do it this way.

This is how I do them. I will run them out of the pan for 3-4 hours and then pan them uncovered. You get all of the wonderful juice. Defat it and add it back into the pulled meat. Cant go wrong. Juicy and flavorful.

Everything looks great so far! Going to have some happy people.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky