Got my new toy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 12, 2019
northern NJ
My new toy came yesterday.
Kaduf Pellet Smoker Tray 5" x 8" - 13 Hours of Billowing Smoke, Perfect for Hot and Cold Smoking Meat, Fish, Cheese with Wood Pellets – Works in any Type of Grill or Smoker, Free eBook Smoking Recipes

i think im going to have to use it to smoke some cheese today. isn't there an unwritten rule about having to use a new toy within 24 hours of receiving it.
Anyway i was thinking of starting with a cheddar or pepper jack, im going to use my gas grill to do this. After reading all the reviews about having trouble keeping it lit i figure this will allow enough air flow to prevent it from going out while being closed enough to smoke the cheese. up dates will be provided once i start.

Congrats on your new toy! Is it cool enough where you are to smoke cheese? If so yeah give it a go. If temps start to rise you can put frozen 2 liter bottles in there to help keep the temps down. Don't let it get too hot though or you will have a giant mess on your hands! Good luck and post some pics

the cheeses i picked
jalapeno pepper jack, horseradish cheddar( two types)
some smoke,
the toy
and end results only on about 1 hour started to look a little melty
every thing iv read said let rest loosely raped in wax paper or parchment paper, for three days. so that's what i'm doing.
i'll up date again around then.

Attachments

• DSCF3307.JPG
    DSCF3307.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF3309.JPG
    DSCF3309.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF3313.JPG
    DSCF3313.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF3310.JPG
    DSCF3310.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: jaxgatorz
As promised here is the up date. the pepper jack came out the best slight smoky taste ill put in longer next time. the two horseradish the smoke was nonexistent i figure it could stand more time in the smoke or the heat is just two strong. Today was also the minimum for resting so trying a tasting in another day or two.

Horseradish Cheddar, I am going to have to try this, I love cheese.

On a cold day, I smoke the cheese for about 3-4 hours, let sit in fridge over night and then vacumn pack. I leave it for one month then start eating it. It always tastes better when it has sat for a few weeks.

The tray looks familiar. While we've had some cooler days. It is still too soon to cold smoke cheese. Luckily in March and April of this year I was scoring some great deals on cheese. And stockpiled about 40 pounds of smoked cheese. Here is what's left. And are now 5-6 months old. And the flavor is beyond words. My goal is to get some pieces over a year old.

P9022954.JPG
P9022955.JPG

I'll need to start adding the year on the dates as well. Horseradish cheddar is one of my favorites. Along with Gouda and Muenster. Swiss isn't bad. But that needs to rest at least a month before trying. I find the white cheddar does a bit better then the regular for some reason. It tends to be a bit creamier. If you do mozzarella. Be warned that fresh mozzarella takes smoke way faster then the normal store bought variant. The 2 pounds of fresh I did in April is still pretty strong. Good, but strong. The next batch will only get 2 hours of smoke. Putting smoked mozzarella on pizza is out of this world. When I do that. I mix half with smoked. And half not smoked. Here it is 2:30 in the morning. And I'm craving the cheese. Or pizza!

Last edited:
{SNIP}
Putting smoked mozzarella on pizza is out of this world. When I do that. I mix half with smoked. And half not smoked. Here it is 2:30 in the morning. And I'm craving the cheese. Or pizza!
:D I just polished off the last of a cast iron pan pizza I cooked earlier. Used my next to the last chunk of smoked mozzarella and a bunch of Canadian bacon I smoked Friday night. Made one yesterday with spicy chicken Italian sausage but I think the bacon was better. I've got 20 lbs of Tillamook cheddar I picked up this summer on sale just waiting for cooler weather. Definitely need to do more Mozzarella and Gouda this year!

:D I just polished off the last of a cast iron pan pizza I cooked earlier. Used my next to the last chunk of smoked mozzarella and a bunch of Canadian bacon I smoked Friday night. Made one yesterday with spicy chicken Italian sausage but I think the bacon was better. I've got 20 lbs of Tillamook cheddar I picked up this summer on sale just waiting for cooler weather. Definitely need to do more Mozzarella and Gouda this year!

I keep telling myself to try making the CI pan pizza. I'm going to start buying cheese soon. I'm looking for different cheeses this time. So,I found small squares of Parmesan cheese that I'm going to smoke.
parmesan.jpg

Should have an interesting flair to it! Havarti is also going to be tried. And, I'm really interested in doing cheese curds. Yancey's fancy curds should fit the bill.

Parmesan sounds good! Want to try Havarti also and had a bunch of people tell me Costco's Jarlsberg is good smoked. I finally found a store 40 miles away that sells horse radish cheese but I haven't made it over there yet. So many cheeses and so little time. :)

Parmesan sounds good! Want to try Havarti also and had a bunch of people tell me Costco's Jarlsberg is good smoked. I finally found a store 40 miles away that sells horse radish cheese but I haven't made it over there yet. So many cheeses and so little time. :)

Very true! I've seen the Jarlsberg but haven't tried it yet.

I also would like to try the Parmesan smoked. It’s hard to get good fresh cheese where I live.

I just did a jalsberg a week ago but still need to wait for a few weeks argh.

I also would like to try the Parmesan smoked. It’s hard to get good fresh cheese where I live.

I just did a jalsberg a week ago but still need to wait for a few weeks argh.

I'd be interested in your thoughts with the Jarlsberg cheese when you try it.

For sure Steve. Your cheese stockpile is very impressive. We are just coming into summer here so I’m near the end of the cold smoke season, sux.

For sure Steve. Your cheese stockpile is very impressive. We are just coming into summer here so I’m near the end of the cold smoke season, sux.

Thanks! I'm not fond of winter. But, it does have a couple perks I guess!

...think im going to have to use it to smoke some cheese today
SUPER jealous. Nice job. Looks like they held up well and I'm sure they're gonna taste great. Smoker trays are certainly a must have! Horseradish Cheddar is my favorite by far! it DOES seem to need more smoke than most. For some reason we can't find it often. Sam's used to carry it by I haven't seen it lately. Maybe I was the only one buying it. Publix sells it in 8oz packages so that's what I get for now. I have 2 pounds of Extra Sharp Cheddar and 1 pound of Colby left. I need to slow down.
Don

this is going to be my next attempt. i'm going the freeze some water bottles to reduce temp in grill. also love the vaccume seal some going to do that.
DSCF3316.JPG

Your cheese looks really good bradger, It looks like you got it off the smoker just in a nick of time. If you want a more smokey taste just put it back on the smoker. I've double and triple smoked the same block of cheese a few times.

Point for sure
Chris

Norwester, if you have a store that sell Cabot cheese. They should have or can get Horseradish.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky