Got a salt block for Xmas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
from son #2, and bbq gloves from son #1. Had to try them both out.
So cooking some peppers/onions, steaks, and shrimp on the salt block.
I used no additional seasoning, and everything was tasty.
But I think the steaks still needed a little more salt.
Shrimp was perfect. And veggies were, of course, veggies.

My take on salt block:
hard to prep (have to slowly preheat), food tasty but not dissimilar to just grilling, gives a nice sear like a CI skillet, fun to use, presentation is very cool/ impressive. I haven’t tried cleaning it yet so jury is out on that aspect.
My impression is that it is well suited for seafood (maybe salmon, snapper, ahi, shrimp, even scallops).
And probably for searing thin strips of beef for soups, beef salads, tacos, Asian dishes, etc.
But for steaks, I'm gonna stick with what I know.
That said, the salt block steaks were very good, and I will probably try it again.

IMG_2410.jpeg

IMG_8449.jpeg

IMG_8452 (1).jpeg

IMG_8456 (1).jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8452.jpeg
    IMG_8452.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8456.jpeg
    IMG_8456.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 1
Food looks really good!! Interesting about the salt block, I never had heard about them.

LOL, when I read your posts title, being a farm boy, I pictured a 50lb salt block used for cattle.....
Haha. Yea, we got a couple cattle out back so I completely understand.

Ha likewise my first thought was the blue cubes we used to give the horses and sheep.
Can't say I've ever seen or heard of this. The food sure looks good though!
I like steaks done on cast iron myself, so I can see this being real perfect once you find the right amount of seasoning

Looks great to me . I wondered about cleaning it .
Makes me think fajitas .

Well the cleaning wasn't too bad. I had to use a razor blade to remove most of the carbon. May try to go over it some more. Using some oil on the block would probably minimize carbon deposits, but then that's supposed to prevent block from imparting salt to food.

LOL, when I read your posts title, being a farm boy, I pictured a 50lb salt block used for cattle.....
Being a hunter, the first thing I thought of was the mineral blocks we put out for deer. LOL.

And onto the food. Looks Killer from my chair. So it didnt add much to the beef but did to the seafood?
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky