Got a new (to me) tank!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xxhillbillyxx

Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Central Alabama
Ok so I recently found a killer freaking deal ($50) on a 330 (water) gallon propane tank, and in a very sketchy manner I got it back to my house...

Now, with that out of the way here are my thoughts on what to do with it. From what I have read the length to width ratio of this particular tank may cause problems with flow as I want to build a reverse flow smoker because,... of reasons...

The tank is 113" long and has a 30" diameter. Here are some sketches I put together with my plans for how to deal with this tank. In the pictures below you can see what I am thinking. Each square on the graph paper is 4 inches. 

I drew these as close to scale as I could, my plan is to cut one end of the tank off to use as the fire box. If my math is correct if I cut it at 29 inches it will leave me with a fire box that is about 1/3 the size of the cook chamber after the cut. 84 inch cook chamber and 29 inch firebox.

After I cut the 29 inch section I plan on spinning it around so that I can put the door on the flat part. The grate level is right at the bottom of the door and the RF baffle is 5 inches below that and 3 inches above the firebox opening. The cooking grate and RF Baffle with both stop where the curved part of the tank stops, I was going to use 6 inch pipe 48 inches long for the smoke stack. 

Is there anything that is just plain wrong about what I am planning on doing that will just not work? I only have one of these tanks and do not want to ruin it because I cut something in the wrong place.

Last edited:
Your base plan of cutting the tank and welding it on is fine.  

Are you mounting it on a trailer or for home use?  The reason I ask is for trailer there will be no clearance underneath the firebox or if you mount it too high on the trailer you will not be able to reach the door handles when it is open. 

You can do what I do on my 30" cookers to raise the firebox without affecting the height of the RF plate. Cut the top of the  firebox and weld in a reinforced flat plate.  

As always  I advise posting your plans on here BEFORE cutting things apart.

If you make the door cut 6" from 12 o'clock you should not need counterweights.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky