Got a Bratwurst ingredient question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shortend

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
Waterloo, IA
I'm looking at a Pork Bratwurst recipe from the Len Poli Website. Among the ingredients, it calls for 1 tsp Phosphate and 1/8 tsp Ascorbic Acid. I have some Amesphos powder and I'm assuming that is the same type of Phosphate called for in the recipe. As far as the Ascorbic (Citric) acid goes, would I be OK to just take a bit of Encapsulated Citic Acid and run it through my spice grinder to get the powderd stuff? What about simply running a couple of Citric Acid tablets through the grinder to get my Ascorbic Acid?  Would either of these ways work, or would you suggest I buy regular Ascorbic acid powder. 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Thanks,

ShortEnd

Personally, I'd leave both of them out.
They're both listed as 'optional' in the recipe.
The phosphate isn't needed if you use good sausage making practice.
If you do use the Amesphos, use it at the rate specified by the manufacturer.
I would forget about the ascorbic acid or a substitute, 1/8 wouldn't be noticeable in a 5 lb. recipe anyway.

~Martin

I agree with DDF.  Ascorbic and Citric acid are slightly different, but not much.

You can use a vitamin C pill and crush it .... that is citric acid.  Or put a few drops of lemon juice in.

SE

Try not to use powdered CA. To much and it will make the meat turn white and mushy. AmesPhos is what Poli is talking about. Really better to use AP in smoked sausage to retain some moisture.

BBQ In Cascade, same place as last year on the 28th, your invited again but i cant make it this time.

Thanks for the input. I really can't figure out why Ascorbic Acid and Phosphate are called for in the recipe. It does state that they are optional. I checked all of Poli's site information, and he explains what these ingredients do to some degree. It's still not all that clear to me, though. At any rate, if I do decide to make the Pork Brats, I won't add either of those. Never saw them in any other Brat recipe, but was just wondering what others thought, or may have used them in Brats. I've used AmesPhos as an injection ingredient in brisket before, and didn't much care for it. Thought it left a bit of an offputing after taste. But it did seem to benefit the juicyness of the brisket. Just not in a particularly pleasing way to me.

Thanks for the heads up on the Cascade outing, Rick. I won't be able to make it either. Family Reunion on the War Departments side that same day. Another time perhaps. Bunch of good folks, lots of laughs and great food! Some real characters in that bunch for sure. LOL  I'll give TenPoints a holler and thank him for thinking of me anyway.

ShortEnd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky