gosm

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bassrat

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
iowa
on the top of my GOSM there is a vent adjustment that you can turn to increase or decrease draft, it has a stop on it so you can not complety shut it off, I was wondering if you could remove the stop so you could turn it off, like shutting it off to keep all in smoke in ?????
thanks

No, you need ventilation. GOSM put the stops on the vents to help you out. Read this:

CREOSOTE IS NOT YOUR FRIEND

The secret of barbecue is heat, time and smoke. The secret of great barbecue and successful smoking is airflow. You need to bring smoke to the meat but you canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t hold it there for too long. Smoke that becomes too heavy or stays for too long creates a substance called creosote. Creosote is thick, oily substance left over by fire. It not only causes foods to become bitter but it numbs the tongue. If you have ever left a plate of barbecue with a numb feeling in the tongue it is because of creosote build up on the meat. To eliminate creosote you need to start with a clean smoker. A dirty, crusted smoker will help produce creosote. Then you need to make sure that you have proper airflow. If you have a small water smoker there probably isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t a lot you can do to hold in smoke or control how much gets away.
If you smoker has a vent then you need to make sure that enough smoke is getting out to prevent it from building up.

One way to test for creosote is to hold a glass of ice water in the stream of smoke coming out of your smoker. If you notice black specks on the glass after a minute of so then you donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have enough ventilation. Open the vents more to let more air travel through the smoker. If you have a vertical water smoker without vents then remove the lid for a minute to let the smoke escape. Once you have noticed the creosote it is time to stop adding wood to the fire. Reduce the smoke production, at least for a little while. At this point you might want to wrap the meat in foil and allow it to continue cooking without being exposed to more smoke.

Another way to test for creosote is by tasting the meat. Take a piece of the darkest meat along the surface and put it in your mouth. Let it sit on the tongue for a little bit. Does it taste bitter? Does your tongue feel a little numb? You will usually notice the numbness before you taste the bitterness.

Once the chemical reaction takes place the surface of smoked meats is pretty much ruined. The only hope you have left is to carve off the blackened edges and eat the interior of the meat. This is pretty much impossible with ribs, but can be done with brisket and pork roasts.

To eliminate you have got to ventilate.

being a cert. chimney sweep i very much under stand cresote, thanks for your words of wisdom, the maker of my smoker is a huge wood stove manufacture. thanks again, being a Tech person for copperfield chimney supply I very much understand this. visit : copperfield.com

You could either bend down the tabs or cut and/or grind them of. There is a post in here somewhere where the user didn't want to buy a cover and bent the tabs down to keep out rain.

I have the top damper on my GOSM opened to the maximum when I am generating smoke. I keep the two bottom dampers at the minimum. After the smoke has faded away, and I've foiled my butt or brisket, I will close the top damper. That allows the smoker to warm up, or hold heat. I can then turn the gas down a bit. I suppose that if you closed the top damper by bending the tab, you could get the smoker hotter, or save some more gas.

My $.02

Regards,

Meowey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky