GOSM Wood Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chromusdomus

Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
:?: How much wood do people use in their GOSM :?:

I have removed the provided wood pan, and I am using a 9x12 baking pan instead. I try and put as much wood in there as it will hold, but I am noticing that the smoke coming out is coming out pretty strong. But my product (ribs, chicken, butt, fatties) are coming out great. Before when I used to use the GOSM wood pan, I wasn't getting enough of a smoke flavor in my food, and it took too long for the smoke to start.

I am also noticing that after about 4 hours, my wood sometimes flares up on me, and shoots the temp up to 350 . . . sometimes 400. I keep a squirt bottle filled with water close by at all times. If the wood flares up, then I squirt water in from the side dampers.

:?: DOES ANYBODY HAVE A SOLUTION TO FLARE UPS? OR DOES ANYBODY ELSE HAVE FLARE UP PROBLEMS? Do I need to soak the wood longer. Right now I soak it for about 1 - 2 hrs. Or am I using too much wood?

Many wood questions.

ChromusDomus

ChromusDomus

When I got my first GOSM I used only wood chips that I soaked for 1-2 hours as you mentioned. I also experienced frequent flare ups as the smaller chips would dry to quickly and incinerate. It was suggested to me that I switch to larger chunks to control this, and it has worked pretty well for me. Depending on time constaints, I will sometimes place a thin layer of chips or sawdust on the bottom to speed up the heating process and place very well soaked chunks on top of the chips for the smoke.

It is also possible that you are strarting out with too much wood. I would keep some chunks soaking in a bucket to be added as needed throughout your smoke depending on the length of time you will be cooking. Remember, all you want is a consistant thin blue smoke. A thick billowing white smoke will most often result in a bitter outcome.

Good luck, and keep on smokin'

Cheers,
Brian

I'm still using the cast iron box that came with my Big Block. It seems to be big enough to hold as much wood as I need to get the amount of smoke flavor we like. I have only had 2 flare-ups in three years that I can recall. One recently was because I was smoking turkey legs at 350*, but the fire didn't really spike the temperature at all because I wasn't using a lot of wood and the smoker was already running that hot.

Three things are required for fire; heat, fuel and oxygen. To keep from igniting the wood you'll most likely need to close the intake vents near the burner to reduce oxygen levels in order to keep flare-ups from happening. The propane burner gets all the air it need through the holes in the bottom of its housing so the side vents are mainly to allow air to the smoke wood. (in fact some new GOSM wide body smokers don't even have the side vents) I don't think soaking the wood chips any longer than you already do will help. I use wood chunks and small 6" logs and don't soak them at all. You may want to try logs or chunks as they don't flare up as much as chips.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Currently I am using logs and chunks . . . a lot of it too.

I will try and cut down on the wood, keeping a supply ready to add when needed. I'm also going to bend the tabs on the side dampers to allow for them to close completely.

ChromusDomus

First off I must say that I'm new to this Forum and I'm extremely happy to have found it. I hope to learn a great deal here. I also own a GOSM and I use it extensively for my homemade bologna, snack sticks and jerkey. Temperature control is crucial and this unit is superb. I wanted to comment on the discussion of wood flare ups and the time required for the GOSM to start producing smoke. My unit usually takes 20 to 30 minuites to get the smoke rolling. This is just about perfect timing to smoke bologna, snack sticks and especially jerkey. The meat needs time to dry somewhat on the outside so that it will take the smoke more evenly. I also never soak my wood chunks, I personally find no need too. I've been taught that most of the smoke flavoring is done in the first 2 hours of smoking and I guess that since I'm smoking at lower temperatures, 175 degrees for the first two hours and then 200 to 220 degrees until finished, my chunks usually last at least 3 or 4 hours. The only thing that I have to be careful of is too keep the smoke moving if it gets a little heavy to avoid the bitterness and that's easily controlled with the vents. Well thanks for allowing me to add my little bit on the subject.
Smoke till you croak!!

Mike,

I'd like to welcome you to the Smoking Meat Forums, and thanks for sharing your thoughts about woods and smoking jerky and bologna. I know there are some folks here that will be VERY interested in your homemade bologna recipe. If you haven't already seen it, visit the Sausage thread. It's a new thread that was added just this week and it has really taken off.

I also use the GOSM. I like to preheat my unit and when the smoke starts flowing I know that the unit is up to temp. or very close to it.

BTW-I like your "Smoke till you croak!!", you ought to put it into a signature line [you can do this by visiting your Profile page].

Dutch,

Thanks for the welcome, I think that I'll visit the sausage link and see what's going on. I've got the smoke rolling now. The wife and daughter took the Granddaughter to a Halloween party and pap stayed home. I figured I'd make the best of a Saturday night and whipped up 6lbs of beef snack sticks. They're in the smoker now and dang if they aren't smelling pretty good. Should be done in another 2 hr. The dog can't wait, he's addicted to anything smoked. I took your advice on the signature thing, Thanks.

Hey Mike-
How about sharing your beef stick recipe with us on the beef or sausage forum? It's got to beat the store bought stuff.

Hey Earl D.
I'd be glad to share the beef stick recipe, it's still in the experimental stage though. The guys at work think it's pretty good but I'm the type that thinks everything can be better. I don't have time to post it anymore tonight but I will be sure and post it soon as possible before the weekend is over. Just took a batch off about 30 minutes ago and my smoking partner is already lying beside me on the floor sleeping off a full belly of freshly smoked sticks. Oh by the way he's a 5year old, 50lb, spoiled rotten Keeshound that's firmly convinced he's human. So what do you go by? Earl or Dutch?
Have a good evening.

Mike

Mike, Earl is the name mom and dad gave me-Dutch is what my friends call me [Dutch was hung on me cus I'm pretty good at cooking in Dutch Ovens. You can call me either one.

Hi Bob,

I'm really new at this, I work with 5 or 6 guys that have done a lot of smoking for a good many years and they got me hooked on it. I started out with a Brinkman electric, thought this can't be that hard, had it about 2 weeks and almost ruined a ton of meat. I found out after I purchased my GOSMS that it was me not the electric smoker that was at fault. So I swallowed some pride and asked for help. I've only been at it for about 8 months but I have smoke rollling off the patio every chance I get. In fact my wife said she was tired of staying home on weekends for me to play with the smoker.
The guys at work showed me a few things and now I'm getting pretty good results. We're cleaning out freezers of last years deer meat so we have room for this years.
So like I said I'm a youngster at it. It sounds like there are a lot of pros in here, hopefully I can learn from you folks and actually become goodat it.

Have a good day.
Mike

Mike, All ya gotta do is ask the questions!! Someone here will have an answer for ya and if a couple of days go by without an answer to your question, we'll make one you for ya. :shock: Now howsabout that for first class help? :D

Welcome, Mike.

We were all newbies at on time or another. Don't worry though, you will surely find the help you need here. I've been an avid GOSM user for about two years now and there are many others here with varying levels of experience, as well, who will be more than willing to coach/advise those new to the "art." Just remember that the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask.

I recommend that you read though the threads for pork shoulder methods and try a couple of these first. Pulled pork bbq is a great way to get your feet wet as the shoulder or Boston Butt is generally inexpensive as compared to other cuts and is the most forgiving, as well. When you feel ready to try ribs, start with the 3-2-1 method, it is practically foolproof.

Cheers,
Brian

Mike, you won't be "green" for long. You've got a couple of great sources for help (between your local and online friends :D ).

Don't forget to take your wife out now and again.
wink.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky