GOSM - Whers the smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I personally like chunks a whole lot better! They last longer, there is no need to soak them and they are cheaper (usually) than the chips. One caveat to that is the Jack Daniels barrel chips when I smoke ribs.

Were your chips soaked in water and for how long? How long was your total cook time? What did the chips look like after? Completely unburned, black and coal like? It seems unlikely that dried wood chips wouldn't smolder for your smoke... something's not right.

I didn't read all  of your posts but you should be getting some visible smoke.....try next time to start it on high, when you start to see smoke then turn it to medium or whatever it takes to get it to your desired temps. I usually load the box to the top, you cant get too much chips in there. I would say I like to use chunks like 3-4" with some chips around, maybe a mix of apple and cherry or something. Your bottom vents should be open around 1/4 of the way. I use the factory chip box and have no problem other than having to reload every 1-1.5hrs, I have tried adding a cake pan for a chip box and got some pretty nasty yellow toxic smoke so I said forget that! I may try a bigger cast iron skillit with a top, drill some holes in the top to see how that works. But for the most part the factory box will work fine IMO. I think there is a little bit of a learning curve with the GOSM, just practice on cheap meat like chicken or something until you see how she ticks...good luck and good smokes friend!

I think I need to open the bottom vents some more, I'm thinking that may be part of my problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have some ribs lined up for the weekend.  I'll try to get it down this weekend.

I may also try a cake pan, I know you (coffee_junkie) had issues but I may still try.

I like to use chunks rather than chips.  I know my chunks lasts about 1 1/2 through 2 hours before I need to replenish.  I want to keep the smoker closed unless I really need to open it.

I just took the loin off, looks good.

I looked in the smoke box and it doesn't look like any chips were used. I expected to see ash from the chips, at least some.

Does this seem right? Still seems like something is amis.

Steve
Did they look like this,

0ba8cbf9_20100521068.jpg

You don't want the chips to turn completely to ash, if they do they are getting too much oxygen.

I hope this pic isnt too big, not sure If I need to resize?

Last edited:
Here is a shot from this weekends smoke, and these chips are almost completely used up.

Definite TBS going on there, I removed the lid from the chip box just to snap a picture, and by doing that it started to ash up quicker.

ee354461_2790462430041211880S600x600Q85.jpg

I have a method that seems to work everytime for me. I hope it helps.

The first thing I do is to set it on High with Hot water in the water pan and 1 fairly small chunk of hickory about an inch thick and all vents closed. When the smoker hits 300 i can typically just start to smell the wood but not see the smoke. I then add 3 more large chunks of cherry to the pan, and open the 2 vents at the bottom all the way and back the heat dial down to medium. 30 minutes later, its usually about 265 in the smoker and time to add the food. By this time, you can definetly smell the smoke and see a little but not much smoke. After the door closes, i open the top vent fully and watch the smoker rebound back up to about 245. For the next 20 minutes ill have to watch it to slowly adjust the heat dial back down from medium to get it to sit at 230ish.

I can usually maintain TBS for 2 hours from when i first start to see it. After 2 hours if you walk up to the smoker you can still smell the smoke, but its a lot harder to see. I usually wait another hour before adding more wood.

Depending on how hot it is outside the timing may be off, but thats the generally how i get my started every time. 

And here is a pic of what my TBS looked like on a very cold day a couple months ago. 

aca1dfad_DSC06188.jpg

I was really glad to see this pics posted of the wood chunks after burning. That is how mine look and I was always worried that they were not burning enough. This is a very informative post. Thanks to all!

SQUIB: I see you use wood chunks, I have been using wood chips.  Is that the typical amount of chunks you use?  I may try chunks next time.

How much smoke time do you get with that amount of chunks ?

When I use chips, I fill up to the top.  I'm wondering if I have so much in there that it smothers itself out and can't burn.

Thanks to all for the help!

Last edited:
First time I used my GOSM,  packed my wood box full with no luck.

Now I just loosly fill it about 1/2 full, then check every hour or when smoke stops comming out of the top vent. 

Remember

Fire = fuel + heat + oxygen 

If you're wood's not breathing O2, then you wont have combusion.

SQUIB: I see you use wood chunks, I have been using wood chips.  Is that the typical amount of chunks you use?  I may try chunks next time.

When I use chips, I fill up to the top.  I'm wondering if I have so much in there that it smothers itself out and can't burn.

SmokinStevo please read through the thread and answer the questions others have posted, this will help us to be able to help you better.For instance I posted some pics and asked you if this is what you are getting and you replied with another question.

Take pictures so we can see whats going on.

Don't mod or throw out your chip pan yet, we need to determine the problem.

It may be something as simple as lowering your chip box slightly.

Everyone wants to ditch the chip box, try working with it first.

be a bit more descriptive, what size chip box do you have? do you put the lid on the box?. what do your chips look like at the end of a smoke?

SmokinStevo please read through the thread and answer the questions others have posted, this will help us to be able to help you better.For instance I posted some pics and asked you if this is what you are getting and you replied with another question.

Take pictures so we can see whats going on.

Don't mod or throw out your chip pan yet, we need to determine the problem.

It may be something as simple as lowering your chip box slightly.

Everyone wants to ditch the chip box, try working with it first.

be a bit more descriptive, what size chip box do you have? do you put the lid on the box?. what do your chips look like at the end of a smoke?

In one reply (5/23) I stated that it didnt look like my chips burned at all, so no it does not look like your picture.  The chips look the same as when I put them in at the beginning. 

I do keep the lid on, it is the original chip box.  And yes I am ready to chuck it :)

Steve

I'd say don't soak, as many recommend here, and if you soak, I don't think you're ever suppose to do more then 30 minutes. I'm pretty sure the soaking you're doing is the only thing that could prevent them from smoldering.

Yes I soak them for at least an hour.
Do not soak your chips.
Looking for some suggestions for getting the smoke going in the GOSM.

I have been smoking a tenderloin for about 90 mins and dont see any smoke, but I can smell it some. I have it set to 220 degress according to my ET-73 thermometer.

What am I doing wrong? Am I putting too many chips in the box? Do I need to crank it up to get it going then back it down before I put the meat in?

Any suggestions??
Yes you can crank the temps up and fill the chip pan halfway.

Try cooking at 240-250

Is TBS something you can see?

I thought you should be seeing the smoke, but it appears I am wrong.

icon_confused.gif
TBS you can see, you should be able to see something.

The loin is almost done, so we will see.

Wondering if the TBS will give the smoke flavor, it must. I always thought more smoke is better.

Learning alot here.

Steve
TBS will give it a mild smoky flavor

Can someone guide me about the vents? Does the amount they are open have any affect to the smoke production?
In my opinion the vents are useless, I tested that this past weekend.

I just took the loin off, looks good.

I looked in the smoke box and it doesn't look like any chips were used. I expected to see ash from the chips, at least some.

Does this seem right? Still seems like something is amis.

Steve
If its done right and you get TBS you may not get any ash.

Thanks all for the suggestions...

Just for giggles, I boiled water and put the probes of the ET-73 in it. It read 212, perfect. I was thinking that they might be off.

Yes, the box is on the grid correctly.

I'm wondering if there are too many chips in there, is that posible? I do load it up. Thinking it may be smothering itself and it cant burn right.

I did have my side vents closed off, would opening them be better.

Been reading about the people using the skillit, how does this work?

Thanks for all the advice!
If you opt to mod the chip box, you can use a cast iron skillet or a coffee can as some have done.

What I done on my 3405 was to nip off 1" from the legs of the grate that hold the chip box, making it closer to the flame.

Another question..

I use chips, would chunks work better???
I prefer chunks, but that may not help you in your current situation

I have had the bottom vents all the way closed, or as far as they can be with the tabs. There is a small opening on the vents because to the tabs on them keep them open a bit.

Maybe that is part of my problem. I'll try opening the vents more next time.

As far as wood, I am using a apple hickory mixture, mostly apple. I did not get a smoke ring on my loin. I dont think it ever really got smoked, all I really did was cook it.

I have ribs to cook this weekend, yippie!

Steve
Good Luck on the Ribs, Take pictures so we can help more.

I sometimes use chips if I have them to use them up but prefer chunks.

I don't get a lot of volume in 1 shot from the chunks...its more like a constant stream of smoke.

Fill the chip box halfway.

Have you tried without the lid?

One last Question, are the chips fresh?

I honestly believe that if you don't soak the chips, nip about an inch off the bottom of the chip box grate and run the temps between 240-250, that you should be ok, I had to do this on my 3405 when doing jerky.

If all else fails I would hit the chips with a propane torch and when they start smoking place the chip box in place, I also have successfully done this making jerky.

SmokinStevo when you post next week, I want to Hear about that awesome smoke ring.

Venison Jerky smoke with modified chip box (Cast Iron mini dutch oven) no lid

Modified Chip Box Grate, removed 1 inch from leg.

Propane torch to start the wood smoking.

0bea8da2_2988954240041211880S600x600Q85.jpg

Venison Jerky smoke with modified chip box (Cast Iron mini dutch oven) no lid

Modified Chip Box Grate, removed 1 inch from leg.

Propane torch to start the wood smoking.

0bea8da2_2988954240041211880S600x600Q85.jpg
Looks good, I'm thinking about trying jerky this weekend too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky