Goodwill Score

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Besides all my cast iron , I have a set of Revere Ware pots and pans Dated 1987 . Got them new around that times , and that's what I use everyday .
Dutch oven , 10" skillet and 3 sauce pans . The 10" skillet is just a bit on the small side for some stuff .
So ,, I've been searching for a 12" . You can find them on Ebay , but they're more than I want to pay . Lately I've been seeing a lot of the older Revere ware at Goodwill . The ones with the copper cladding on the bottom . Been going a couple times a week to 2 different stores .
Walked in 2 days ago , straight to the isle . Most people are " sight seeing " , but I know what I'm looking for . I can see a handle that looks right hanging out of the bottom of a pile of pans . I may or may not have bumped a couple others out of the way . Had to weed through some junk , but at the bottom was a copper clad 12" Revere ware skillet with a 2 piece handle . Those are all signs that it from the good time period .
Had some gunk on the bottom , inside was pretty clean . Put it on the floor . Sat nice and flat . Tap the handle . No spin is a good sign .
At $14.49 I took it .
Inside as I bought it .
20230228_103203.jpg
Underside . Should clean up .
20230228_103207.jpg
Been buying both kinds of Bar Keepers Friend . Liquid and the powder .
That stuff is amazing . Started with a good scrub , then the BKF .
20230228_103819.jpg
HMMM . Turns out that's some kind of melted plastic on the bottom .
20230228_110715.jpg
That's OK . I let it sit there for the day , and took it down in the shop
after supper that night . Started with some course steel wool , and low grit sand paper .
Light pressure so I don't damage the copper .
That's better , but not quite there .
20230228_191538.jpg

So I just took it slow , and ended up wet sanding with 600 wet / dry paper .
Then buffed it with some 0000 steel wool .
20230228_192644.jpg
20230228_192649.jpg
Here's the stamp . The double ring , and the mention of a patent
tells me it's vintage Revere ware made between 1947 and 1968 .
The Clinton Illinois plant started production in 1950 . So this pan dates somewhere between 1950 and 1968 .
Quality stuff , and very happy to have it . I know some of you guys sawhorseray sawhorseray and gmc2003 gmc2003 have some older Revere ware .
Be interested to see the stamps on them .
1677765640254.jpeg

Great find Rich!
It's all fun and games till Rich goes after his pot...or pan lol!

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
That is pretty cool, I have to hit up those stores when I am in PA, looking for the single serving size CI tx smoker tx smoker uses. Down here in NY they don't have much cooking stuff.

Reactions: chopsaw
Nice job on the clean up Rich. My mother had the copper clad bottoms on her pans. She knew I wouldn't take the time to clean them up right. So she got us the copperless bottom style. Did you manage to score the lid also? If not I know what your next safari will be. My Revere ware is from the mid-eighties. At least that's when it was bought.

Chris

Nice find and a beautiful restoration job Rich! I still have the Revere ware set of pots and pans my mama used her whole life, well as long as I was around anyway, I was born in 1951. They are stored in a 165 quart cooler in the backyard shed, I'll try to check them out later on. RAY

Nice score !
I love this stuff . Plus the quality just doesn't stop .
Nice. . . its all a timing thing at the Goodwill stores.
Yup . I almost didn't stop . Then thought to myself , that means you need to go look .
Very cool Rich! You gave that pan new life. Looks brand new.
Yup . Cleaned up real nice . Gonna be a great add to the rest . I'm still kicking myself for a cast iron pan I didn't buy when I was in TN .

Great find Rich!
It's all fun and games till Rich goes after his pot...or pan lol!

That is pretty cool, I have to hit up those stores when I am in PA, looking for the single serving size CI

I need to step up my goodwill shopping.
Jim
Being retired makes it easier . I go on Tuesdays figuring most stuff trickles in on the weekend . Monday is a sorting / cleaning day .
Nice score , and great clean up on the bottom
and put some ice on your elbows and ready for the next visit, lol
Lol . A PO'd look on my face used to be enough .
Look great Rich. Great score.
Thanks Mike .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Nice job on the clean up Rich.
Thanks .
So she got us the copperless bottom style.
That's the set I got from mine . Has the aluminum disc in the bottom .
Great cookware .
Did you manage to score the lid also?
I looked when I bought the pan . Was bugging me so I went back this morning and did a double check . No luck , but sometime in the last day or so they got a 4 1/2 QT. Dutch oven with the lid . 1991 Korea . I passed . The cutoff date is '89 for the good made in the States stuff .
My Revere ware is from the mid-eighties. At least that's when it was bought.
Chris , those will ( or should have ) the date on them . They changed the label on those to no rings , no patent info , but added a size and a 2 digit date . Mine say the size , then 86 and 87 . Some also have a letter . I don't know what that means .

Nice find and a beautiful restoration job Rich!
Thanks . It's nice having the shop and everything I need down there . My pre-retirement stash is getting low though .
I still have the Revere ware set of pots and pans my mama used her whole life, well as long as I was around anyway, I was born in 1951. They are stored in a 165 quart cooler in the backyard shed, I'll try to check them out later on.
Ray , show me yours , I'll show you mine .
You showed me a picture of one of the pots one time . I would love to know what you have . Might be the earlier ones . Early 30's .
See if you have an extra 12" lid . Lol .
If they are 2 piece handles ( I'm guessing they are ) and have 2 screws close together they're early . Also the stamp won't have the double rings , might say Rome NY on the stamp .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Mine are 87 - A. On the top they have a silhouette of who I assume is Paul Revere with 18 on the left and 01 on the right. Then Revere Ware in the middle, the size under that, then the 87 - A under the size. Maybe A stands for America.

Chris

Thanks . It's nice having the shop and everything I need down there . My pre-retirement stash is getting low though .

Ray , show me yours , I'll show you mine .
You showed me a picture of one of the pots one time . I would love to know what you have . Might be the earlier ones . Early 30's .
See if you have an extra 12" lid . Lol .
If they are 2 piece handles ( I'm guessing they are ) and have 2 screws close together they're early . Also the stamp won't have the double rings , might say Rome NY on the stamp .
Not going to be that early Rich, my parents got married in 1944, the stuff was most likely a wedding present. Too bad I didn't know you were on the lookout for this stuff earlier, I had a 12" skillet with lid we gave to Goodwill a few years back. I still have a 10 & 9 inch skillet with lids I think, tho I ain't positive. This first one is from a 6-quart stock pot, Bob's outside water bowl

DSCN4442.JPG

This is from a 4&1/2 quart pot, Bob's inside water bowl
DSCN4444.JPG

There was a time I had every pot, pan, and lid, some repeats. Most everything got donated when Jan and I hooked back up, she had some of her own also from her grandma. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky