Good night

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Philliphe

Original poster
Oct 6, 2022
I hope you are in the best possible way. As I have told you before, I am very new to the world of grills.

Today I ask you which are the best Rubs to use according to each meat or cut. or if there is something other than Rubs that you can use.

Thank you in advance

Reactions: negolien
Good day

So many meats and cuts, and so many different choices for rubs, coatings and injections.
Everyone has different views and tastes .

Best is to ask about a specific meat or cut than go from there ,
or the search button will also give you many answers also.

But ask and someone will be along to help.

David

Reactions: Philliphe
Yeah you're really gonna have to try different rubs. hey grill hey has a list of rubs you can make at home you might check out. they basically have a majority of ingredients in common. I myself have become partial to Kosmos, lanes and PS seasonings for bought items

Yeah you're really gonna have to try different rubs. hey grill hey has a list of rubs you can make at home you might check out. they basically have a majority of ingredients in common. I myself have become partial to Kosmos, lanes and PS seasonings for bought items
Is hey grill hey a website?

Here one for brisket, beef ribs, chicken and pork (ribs, PP, & loin). I’ve shared it before but recently added the last 3 in the list and well…… it’s a keeper!!!!

CivilSmoker’s X-Spice Rub!
1/4c. Smoked paprika, gran Onion, gran garlic, turbinado cane sugar.
2 Tbsp brown sugar, gran sugar
1 1/2 Tsp five spice,
2 Tsp gochugaru Korean style red pepper
1/2 Tsp ginger, lemon pepper
1 Tbsp Japanese seven spice
1 Tbsp & 1 Tsp kosher salt coarse
1 Tbsp mushroom powder (dried and spice ground works)
1 Tbsp 1tsp tomato powder
1/2 Tbsp nori dust (1 Tbsp dried flakes in spice grinder)

And for ribs here is a mop to finish them….
cup of chicken stock (reduced by 1/2)
then a Tbsp each of rub, turbinado & granulated sugars, and butter

I hope you are in the best possible way. As I have told you before, I am very new to the world of grills.

Today I ask you which are the best Rubs to use according to each meat or cut. or if there is something other than Rubs that you can use.

Thank you in advance
Hello and welcome!

General Beef Rub and All Purpose Seasoning (works with all beef including ground beef and any kind of meat including pork, chicken, lamb, goat, and fish):
  • Equal amounts of:
    • Black Pepper
    • Granulated Garlic or Garlic Powder
    • Onion Powder or Dehydrated/Minced Onion
  • 3/4 the amount of Salt
Instructions to Make Rub/Seasoning: Get a large bag to hold and mix seasoning. Measure 1 cup of Black Pepper, 1 cup of Granulated Garlic, 1 cup of Onion Powder or Dehydrated/Minced Onion. Measure 3/4 cup of Salt.
Put all seasonings in the bag and mix evenly.
Pour the mixed seasoning into a container to use when needed.

General Pork and Chicken BBQ Seasoning (for BBQ or Grilled pork or chicken)
  • Equal amounts of:
    • Black Pepper
    • Ground Paprika (not sweet)
  • 3/4 the amount of Salt
Instructions to Make Rub/Seasoning: Get a large bag to hold and mix seasoning. Measure 1 cup of Black Pepper, 1 cup of Granulated Garlic, 1 cup of Onion Powder or Dehydrated/Minced Onion, 1 cup of Ground Paprika. Measure 3/4 cup of Salt.

How to Use the Rubs/Seasonings:
Coat the meat with a layer of the rub/seasoning. Not too light but not too heavy. A good amount rub/seasoning is the amount that will easily stick to the meat while the meat is wet with it's own juices right out of the packaging.
For burgers the same amount of coating works. Also minutes before you grill a burger you can season the meat all over with layer of seasoning, mix the meat up with the seasoning and then make patties. Apply another layer of seasoning on both sides of each burger patty and then grill immediately. If you keep mixing or let the patties sit too long after mixing, the burgers will grill up to be very dense and thick instead of the normal burger texture you may want. This is because of the salt and proteins binding over the time the patties sit.

Start with these two easy to make home made rubs/seasonings and you can expand from here. You will find that these 2 are basically all you need unless you want a special flavor like with rosemary or ginger or cumin or chili powder, etc.

I hope this info helps you get started grilling :)

Here one for brisket, beef ribs, chicken and pork (ribs, PP, & loin). I’ve shared it before but recently added the last 3 in the list and well…… it’s a keeper!!!!

CivilSmoker’s X-Spice Rub!
1/4c. Smoked paprika, gran Onion, gran garlic, turbinado cane sugar.
2 Tbsp brown sugar, gran sugar
1 1/2 Tsp five spice,
2 Tsp gochugaru Korean style red pepper
1/2 Tsp ginger, lemon pepper
1 Tbsp Japanese seven spice
1 Tbsp & 1 Tsp kosher salt coarse
1 Tbsp mushroom powder (dried and spice ground works)
1 Tbsp 1tsp tomato powder
1/2 Tbsp nori dust (1 Tbsp dried flakes in spice grinder)

And for ribs here is a mop to finish them….
cup of chicken stock (reduced by 1/2)
then a Tbsp each of rub, turbinado & granulated sugars, and butter
Thank you very much, it looks amazing. I will try it

Hello and welcome!

General Beef Rub and All Purpose Seasoning (works with all beef including ground beef and any kind of meat including pork, chicken, lamb, goat, and fish):
  • Equal amounts of:
    • Black Pepper
  • 3/4 the amount of Salt
Instructions to Make Rub/Seasoning: Get a large bag to hold and mix seasoning. Measure 1 cup of Black Pepper, 1 cup of Granulated Garlic, 1 cup of Onion Powder or Dehydrated/Minced Onion. Measure 3/4 cup of Salt.

General Pork and Chicken BBQ Seasoning (for BBQ or Grilled pork or chicken)
  • Equal amounts of:
    • Black Pepper
    • Ground Paprika (not sweet)
  • 3/4 the amount of Salt
Instructions to Make Rub/Seasoning: Get a large bag to hold and mix seasoning. Measure 1 cup of Black Pepper, 1 cup of Granulated Garlic, 1 cup of Onion Powder or Dehydrated/Minced Onion, 1 cup of Ground Paprika. Measure 3/4 cup of Salt.

How to Use the Rubs/Seasonings:
Coat the meat with a layer of the rub/seasoning. Not too light but not too heavy. A good amount rub/seasoning is the amount that will easily stick to the meat while the meat is wet with it's own juices right out of the packaging.
For burgers the same amount of coating works. Also minutes before you grill a burger you can season the meat all over with layer of seasoning, mix the meat up with the seasoning and then make patties. Apply another layer of seasoning on both sides of each burger patty and then grill immediately. If you keep mixing or let the patties sit too long after mixing, the burgers will grill up to be very dense and thick instead of the normal burger texture you may want. This is because of the salt and proteins binding over the time the patties sit.

Start with these two easy to make home made rubs/seasonings and you can expand from here. You will find that these 2 are basically all you need unless you want a special flavor like with rosemary or ginger or cumin or chili powder, etc.

I hope this info helps you get started grilling :)
thank you, amazing

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky