Good Lump in around the OC area?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

firestarter

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
OC, California
I've been looking for some good lump charcoal, but can't find any good ones at the big box stores, eg. wally world, home depot, lowe's, etc. I need some for my new Akorn Kamado or some product that doesn't produce much ash. I only found cowboy lump at HD, but they are not recommended at:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag6.htm

Anyone can recommend some good places? I haven't checked BBQs Galore yet, maybe that might be worth a shot, but usually their prices are a bit on the high side unless it's standard weber products or clearance items.

Thanks!

What are you cooking on the Akorn with the lump?  What temp are you trying to reach?  I only use lump for hot grilling like steaks because I need temps over 500.  Lump burns so much hotter and I have less control over temps with it so that's probably the only time I use lump.  For long cooks and temps around 220-250 I use regular kingsford and for things I want to cook a little hotter say around 250-300 I use kingsford comp because it has a little more wood content. 

Not sure if your going to find lump with less ash or not because it's pretty much all going to have a lot of ash.  I just buy the cheap stuff that they sale in 50lb bags from Restaurant depot, but it does have a lot of ash.

Usually, I do multiple items. For early Xmas dinner, I did bb ribs, Santa Maria tritip, veggies, ahi tuna. I wanted to use lump for longer cooks since its more durable and maybe have leftover fuel. I've been emailing Dennis from over at komado kamado. He's selling ECC, the extruded coconut stuff from Japan, it's highly rated on naked whiz:

The warehouse does not sell charcoal, we need to complete the transaction online and then a will call order is placed that lets you pick it up. the warehouse is on El Presidio Street Carson, CA 90810
How much charcoal would you like? Komodo CoCo Char comes in 20lb boxes and was $1.40 lb / $28 box…
I have a special right now and it's $1.20 lb / $24 box on orders over 15 boxes..

Komodo Kamado Sustainable Extruded CoConut Shell Charcoal
Unlike other charcoals, KK CoCo Char has no wood flavor profile (volatiles) which lets you cook smoke free. This lets you add a target smoking wood and get only it's profile, not a mix of the charcoal you are using and the target flavor.

How good is it? We'll let the king of online charcoal reviews say it for us
Reviewed on the Naked Whiz charcoal site
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag81.htm

Komodo CoCo Char comes in 20lb boxes and was $1.40 lb / $28 box…
I have a special right now and it's $1.20 lb / $24 box on orders over 15 boxes..

Palettes come in the following volumes
28 boxes/560 lbs
40 boxes/800 lbs
60 boxes/1200 lbs
You may purchase any volume.
There is no minimum order but there is a $10 warehouse charge per order

I might order one to test it out. I recently cleaned out lowes inventory of kingsford hickory charcoal. :) they were on clearance for $3.55 per 15.7 bag!

Where do you buy the competition one? I've never seen it at the stores.

Happy holidays!

Ive used Royal Oak and Walmart carries it. Red Bag

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky