Good afternoon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gramparic

Original poster
Oct 2, 2022
I have just joined this group, although I have visited it many times before.
I have used a charcoal Brinkmann, an electric Brinkmann, and now have ordered a Masterchef electric unit.
The Brinkmanns were fine but here in Upper Michigan a non-insulated smoker restricts me to summertime enjoyment. Ambient temp means so much.
Does anyone have any advice or recipes they would like to share?
I would appreciate anyone's input.

Welcome to the forum from Minnesota! There is a separate sub forum titled "Recipes" that might be a good read for you.

I have just joined this group, although I have visited it many times before.
I have used a charcoal Brinkmann, an electric Brinkmann, and now have ordered a Masterchef electric unit.
The Brinkmanns were fine but here in Upper Michigan a non-insulated smoker restricts me to summertime enjoyment. Ambient temp means so much.
Does anyone have any advice....
Electric smokers that plug into a 110V 15 or 20A circuit are probably just not going to have enough power to cook in outdoor Michigan winters.
Charcoal Brinkmanns or WSMs tend to be single-wall construction, so you can lose a lot of heat out those walls. But if you make up a cardboard box an inch or so bigger than the smoker that has an opening in the bottom to draw in air for combustion and a little opening on top for the smoke, I think you'll find a hug improvement. A welding style blanket works well too, as does building a plywood or Hardee board box.
Alternately burn wood, via either a pellet grill or offset. An offset smoker needs more tending, which may not be fun in super cold weather. Not sure your price point, but value-per-dollar on a Pit Boss pellet grill is pretty hard to beat.

Welcome to SMF. Good advice above.
Look into a Char-Griller Akorn, it may be right up your alley. Again welcome and enjoy your time here. I know I sure do.

Does anyone have any advice or recipes they would like to share?
I would appreciate anyone's input.
Welcome to the forums. There are a ton of different recipes here. Are you looking for anything special?

Chris

Welcome from Nova Scotia

Lots of folks that can help you here , ask on what kind of recipes you are looking for or as said above , the search is a good friend .
I also have a thin walled smoker ( Masterbuilt duel fuel smoker ) and we get some nasty weather here sometimes . So I built the " Smokers Shed " so I can smoke in most weather , and I am not standing in a rain or snow storm when I get to smoke and the weather changes

DSC_2133 - Copy (2).JPG
David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky