Good afternoon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

gramparic

Original poster
Oct 2, 2022
I have just joined this group, although I have visited it many times before.
I have used a charcoal Brinkmann, an electric Brinkmann, and now have ordered a Masterchef electric unit.
The Brinkmanns were fine but here in Upper Michigan a non-insulated smoker restricts me to summertime enjoyment. Ambient temp means so much.
Does anyone have any advice or recipes they would like to share?
I would appreciate anyone's input.

tbern

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 27, 2015
Southwest Minnesota
Welcome to the forum from Minnesota! There is a separate sub forum titled "Recipes" that might be a good read for you.

bill1

Master of the Pit
Apr 25, 2015
I have just joined this group, although I have visited it many times before.
I have used a charcoal Brinkmann, an electric Brinkmann, and now have ordered a Masterchef electric unit.
The Brinkmanns were fine but here in Upper Michigan a non-insulated smoker restricts me to summertime enjoyment. Ambient temp means so much.
Does anyone have any advice....
Electric smokers that plug into a 110V 15 or 20A circuit are probably just not going to have enough power to cook in outdoor Michigan winters.
Charcoal Brinkmanns or WSMs tend to be single-wall construction, so you can lose a lot of heat out those walls. But if you make up a cardboard box an inch or so bigger than the smoker that has an opening in the bottom to draw in air for combustion and a little opening on top for the smoke, I think you'll find a hug improvement. A welding style blanket works well too, as does building a plywood or Hardee board box.
Alternately burn wood, via either a pellet grill or offset. An offset smoker needs more tending, which may not be fun in super cold weather. Not sure your price point, but value-per-dollar on a Pit Boss pellet grill is pretty hard to beat.

Colin1230

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Jan 18, 2021
Merriam, KS
Welcome to SMF. Good advice above.
Look into a Char-Griller Akorn, it may be right up your alley. Again welcome and enjoy your time here. I know I sure do.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Does anyone have any advice or recipes they would like to share?
I would appreciate anyone's input.
Welcome to the forums. There are a ton of different recipes here. Are you looking for anything special?

Chris

DRKsmoking

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Welcome from Nova Scotia

Lots of folks that can help you here , ask on what kind of recipes you are looking for or as said above , the search is a good friend .
I also have a thin walled smoker ( Masterbuilt duel fuel smoker ) and we get some nasty weather here sometimes . So I built the " Smokers Shed " so I can smoke in most weather , and I am not standing in a rain or snow storm when I get to smoke and the weather changes

DSC_2133 - Copy (2).JPG
David

Latest posts